T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to print foil for the first time but I am getting blotches/pin holes in the foil. The foil sticks to the adhesive about 85%. What am I doing wrong?

I am printing on a 110 screen that was coated 1ink:2shirt.
Union Foil - 9208P-Q direct print foil adheasive.
Flashed for about 5-10 seconds
Heat pressed for 10 seconds also tried 15 seconds with high pressure.
Heat press was bought off ebay
16X24 SUBLIMATION TRANSFER DIGITAL HEAT PRESS MACHINE S - eBay (item 230463457822 end time May-17-10 10:47:37 PDT)

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Do you use anything between the press and the foil?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
No, I had the teflon sheet that came with the heat press but I misplaced it:(. When I was searching for a fix someone mentioned parchment paper. Is there a local store I can get either the teflon sheet or parchment paper?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Wow, those are some serious divots. I just ran 70 pieces of black. Using Ryonets foil adhesive and foil, flashed for 15 seconds and pressed at 325 for 12 seconds. Oh, also I used an old piece of transfer paper between the press and the foil. The design was a 120 ppi index separation with some solid type. Everything went smooth as silk.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Ryonets foil adhesive and foil also...I ordered the Unions foil adhesive to see if I had a different result but no such luck.

So its looking like its the heat press that I have. What brand is your heat press?

Can people chime in with the brand of heat press they use to foil.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I've got one of the Proworld promotional offer $169.00 Sunie press'. The thing just puts out perfect transfers consistently. I probably shouldn't have said anything, probably just jinxed myself :)

Reactions: R1

·
Registered
605 Posts
I do not think the brand of the heat press matters much in this case.
If the press reaches the proper temperature and you are using the correct pressure then getting another heat press would be a waste of money.
Do the instructions indicate that you will need teflon or parchment in between the press and the foil?

If so, then try that first.

Ken

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not think the brand of the heat press matters much in this case.
If the press reaches the proper temperature and you are using the correct pressure then getting another heat press would be a waste of money.
Do the instructions indicate that you will need teflon or parchment in between the press and the foil?

If so, then try that first.

Ken
Ok will do I just need to get ahold of some and try it out, thanks.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
We normally use 86 mesh (1/1 coat with round scoop coat edge ) for foil. We use the Union Ink foil adhesive, and we also add the Union Ink Unilon foil transfer powder to the foil adhesive (~10%). Good off contact, cure at the lowest possible temp, and heat press 350 for 6-8 seconds on our cheap Sunie heat press. After we press, and while the shirt is still hot, we take a scrap shirt and press across the top of the foiled area for a little extra pressure over the entire design.The only time we see missing spots is if we overcure the adhesive before pressing, or around the collar/seams where we can't get really good pressure.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Good point Justin, I forgot that after popping the heat press up we always take an old shirt and bleed off the heat. And then allow to cool completely.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We normally use 86 mesh (1/1 coat with round scoop coat edge ) for foil. We use the Union Ink foil adhesive, and we also add the Union Ink Unilon foil transfer powder to the foil adhesive (~10%). Good off contact, cure at the lowest possible temp, and heat press 350 for 6-8 seconds on our cheap Sunie heat press. After we press, and while the shirt is still hot, we take a scrap shirt and press across the top of the foiled area for a little extra pressure over the entire design.The only time we see missing spots is if we overcure the adhesive, or around the collar/seams where we can't get really good pressure.
I'll have to order the Unilon foil transfer powder. I have an 86 mesh screen that I can try. I use 2 pennies for off contact is that good enough? Do you flash cure or run it through the conveyor? How many seconds do you cure it? When I cure it I've seen it dry and also gel but still with the same results. However I am missing the teflon sheet which I'll be ordering today since I dont know a local store that would carry it.

By the way, the shirts you print with discharge and foil are amazing! I am hoping to get there some day. I have my own shirt line and I'm printing with pastisol but would like to do discharge and foil. Trying to tackle the foil first.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Thanks. No flash cure. We rarely do foil only, so it is usually incorporated into a design with waterbased or discharge inks. We cure at 320-350 for 1 minute in a conveyor dryer when printing foil + discharge designs. I find the best results with foil only is when we only gel cure the adhesive (~250 degrees). There is a delicate line when curing foil + discharge designs. You want to cure the discharge completely, but you don't want to overcure the foil adhesive. If it gets too hot, it seems to lose some of its adhesion properties.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm not an expert on foil but have had this same problem. The way I fixed it was like this. Basically, you want to make sure you have a nice solid print of the foil adhesive on top of the shirt. You don't want to print to hard and grind the ink/adhesive down onto the shirt. I just ended up doi g a print flash print with adhesive. Think of it like printing a solid white on a black shirt. You usually have to print flash print to get a really nice solid white. Try the same with the foil adhesive. Get it nice and thick. That solved my problems.

Good luck, hope this helps!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I havent tried that but I will this weekend when I mess with it again, thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just a quick question, is the pallet clean or is there built up lint on it? You want to make sure it's clean and even all the way across.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I got it!!!!! Thanks everyone for you input!

What worked for me was:

110 mesh screen.
Putting down layer of adhesion and taking it straight to the heat press.
(When I built up the adhesion I would get bad results.)

Heat press was at 350, high pressure, and pressed it for 15 seconds. I used parchment on top of the foil. I got a roll of parchment paper from Safeway in the baking isle next to the aluminum foil.
Used a scrap Tshirt while it was still hot liked unik ink stated. Waited until it completly cooled off.

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have never ending foil problems.. Same as u foil only sticks in certain areas . I'm using 86 mesh and the problems are there.. After you layed the first pass did you go straight to the heat press without flashing? Just foil on the wet adhisive?

One way the worked for me I tried but is tricky is to reverse the letters and print direct on the foil then heat press.. Only thing I didn't like was the edge deffinition wasn't there .. I'll try your way and see what happens... Thanks

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Correct, I went to the heat press with no flash. Good luck! Let us know how it works out or if you changed something to get it to work.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts