T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well last night I went to pass out flyers for my business and could hardly give them out. I was giving them to my target customer base. Most people just said no or ignored me when I offered them. Would it have gone over better if I had a flashier flyer, or do people not even look at flyers? Would a cute girl help? Any tips would be appreciated.

· Registered
3,420 Posts
Well last night I went to pass out flyers for my business and could hardly give them out. I was giving them to my target customer base. Most people just said no or ignored me when I offered them. Would it have gone over better if I had a flashier flyer, or do people not even look at flyers? Would a cute girl help? Any tips would be appreciated.
What's your target market, and yes if your dealing with men a cute girl helps tremendously, but it has the opposite effect on some women.....IMHO :)

· Registered
7,118 Posts
What exactly are you selling? And what is the target customer base you reached out to? Maybe you need to adjust your marketing focus.

Also, the economy has forced companies and consumers to change up some habits. Companies that used to place orders 4 times a year are now ordering 2 times a year. So it's important to know that info so you get in front of them at their peak buying time. Consumers that used to focus on high quality may now be focusing on lower prices. Again, it's important to know exactly what the market is looking for. We're in a time where we have to re-learn a lot of what we knew about niche markets.

· Registered
354 Posts
If you want to get their attention print up
shirts with a nice car design on it with
your info and give them away to the car
people. Everybody loves a free shirt and
and they can see your work.
I give out 500 shirts a year for different
groups. This is my only advertising and
it gets me plenty of work.

Also don't use the cheapest shirt.

· Registered
3,420 Posts
yep.

And I thought of the free t-shirt idea but because this is just one of my handful of specialty websites. I didn't want to spend a large portion of my marketing budget on it for just one event. But with how the flyers went I think I will start taking this approach.
Given the size and scope of Woodward (and of course the type of racers there) a couple girls walking around handing out fliers or free shirts would probably have been your best bet, but given that most of the participates are from out of town you would need to sell to them on the spot, trying to get orders from people visiting any event is difficult at best and car guys are kinda' "instant gratification" type of customers, if they have to wait very long they will just walk off and forget about the purchase.

For us a event like Woodward we would probably have made up generic shirts about he cruse-in and tried to just sell them on the spot, if you have the ability to print on demand then you could do custom artwork and maybe sell those, but it's hard to tell what would sell and what would not, last thing you would want to do is get stuck with a lot of shirts you couldn't sell after the event.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
729 Posts
Hopefully you were wearing a sample of what you sell. Say something like "Hi, check out our most excellent car shirts!" Put a coupon code on the flyer so it gives them incentive to keep the flyer instead of toss it on the ground. If there's any trepidation in your delivery, of course they will reject your offer. Just hand out flyers like you're handing out candy or money...:) Yes, you will get people ignoring you, don't get discouraged.

· Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hopefully you were wearing a sample of what you sell. Say something like "Hi, check out our most excellent car shirts!" Put a coupon code on the flyer so it gives them incentive to keep the flyer instead of toss it on the ground. If there's any trepidation in your delivery, of course they will reject your offer. Just hand out flyers like you're handing out candy or money...:) Yes, you will get people ignoring you, don't get discouraged.
Yep I was wearing one of our shirts and the flyers had a coupon on them. A rather good one may I add.

· Registered
1,505 Posts
I just checked out the site for the event. My guess is that people were there to look at the cars and enjoy the atmosphere. Their minds weren't on buying t-shirts and they weren't interested in some flyer that a random person handed them.

A woman handing out flyers might have done better, but I bet your retention and order rates would still have been pretty bad. You were trying to sell people at a time when they were totally interested in something else. That rarely goes well.

I'd investigate ways to affiliate yourself with the event. Do they have booths from which you can sell. Do they have a newsletter, either print or online where you could buy an ad? Do they sell their mailing list? It may cost more money, but I would be willing to bet the return on your investment of time and money will be better too.

· Registered
285 Posts
Although you had good intentions, I can't imagine that the average person at a car show is actually interested in going online and buying a t-shirt. It just isn't going to happen...

Tshirts are typically an impulse buy at an event like that. Setup a stand and sell them onsite?

· Registered
3,420 Posts
Although you had good intentions, I can't imagine that the average person at a car show is actually interested in going online and buying a t-shirt. It just isn't going to happen...

Tshirts are typically an impulse buy at an event like that. Setup a stand and sell them onsite?
You are correct, the best luck anyone could have selling shirts at a event like Woodward would be "their car" (customers) on a shirt which would require some form of print on demand, anything other than that would require stock designs (low interest), or event specific shirts (probably someone local already doing that), or orders that would have to printed off site and shipped or picked up before the event is over.

JMHO

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.