T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Depends on the littering laws in your target towns.... :)

I've always like skyscrapers and dramatic throwing....

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
They're cool little cards.....and Melborne has a flyer culture. And in a place the right sort of people would find them.

I'm guessing they made more back than it cost to get the here.

·
Premium Member
27,700 Posts
I also wonder how many people that end up finding them actually convert to customers.

I know it can probably help with overall branding, but I just wonder how effective it would be.

·
2,957 Posts
Really...I guess in the right place it might work. But finding the right place is definitely the key. Then, when you find the right place, you have to work out the right deal with the owners. That could be a challenge in itself.

I just don't know if designing a flyer, finding the right spot to put them in, a working out a good deal, is worth the return you would get from having them there. If you already know someone will let you do this before you go through with everything, I think the exposure could be good. Again, if done the right way. I don't think you want to just throw some cheap looking flyer together and staple them to telephone poles, though.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Don't threadless have some sort of incentive scheme fo customers to advertise? A little army around the world who know the cool spots to put flyers seems a good idea.

·
2,957 Posts
You may get some hits like that, but how many people would buy something if they weren't even knowing where they were going in the first place?
Hits to the site, and the flyers actually being a success aren't necessarily the same thing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well i have no experience of using flyers for a t shirt business but i do have experience at using flyers to promote an event so ill use this as an example.

My last venture was college speed dating ;) and i was specifically targeting university students. I used both posters and flyers to advertise my events. The last event was in a college of 10,000 students. I had over 80 A3 full color posters around the college and i handed out over 800 flyers which were in florescent pink.

I discovered form a questionnaire at the event that not one person that was handed the flyer turned up to the event!:eek: And i also found out that people (at least college student) dont usually read posters, they glance.:confused: The best source of advertising is definitely "word of Mouth". However, word of mouth is generally generate buy someone who has taken the time to read the poster or flyer and was excited about what they read and told friends. so it seems to be a catch 22 scenario. A clever radio advert with a catchy phrase or music might create more of a talking discussion and awareness to your market than distributing flyers. you can also get a radio advert created for about $50 or less but i have no idea what your 30s airplay slots for local radio cost in the US. Over here i can get 3 airplays for $60. That covers a listnership of 20,000 on any given 1/2 hour. Maybe look into that in your local town. by the way only 20 showed up to that event with all that advertising.

It can be very difficult to reach a particular market, but ive learned that clever marketing is the way to go,:rolleyes: you have to create a hype (like monkeylantern suggested a skyscraper ha, ha, maybe not to that extent unless you can afford it) so people become curious and want to see and know more.

I would also suggest (if it is legal to do in your town or city) approaching local universities and put up a stand up selling your t shirts as students love the hype of something new happening in the college and tend to impulse buy when there with their friends. In my old uni we had people selling posters and clothes at different times of the year and were very sucessfuly form speaking with them. obviously they would have to give some nominal fee to the college for the use of the corridor. This is a great was of advertising your business if you locate a uni with 5000 or more students. you can then have a large poster behind you advertising your online website! just an idea.

hope it works out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So far i have never made a sale based on flyers at all.. not even business cards.. if anything it just serves as a medium to give folks my contact info if they were already intrested.

·
Registered
29 Posts
flyers are just one of the ways you want to advertise about your product or brand. it comes in handy when you want people to know that something for them is coming out and this flyer is one way they can know about it. flyers are a passe now. there are many different ways you can get attention to your tshirt website. some of the ways you want should be focusing are: viral marketing (just allow some one to speak good about your tshirts and see the effect), refral system (refer a friend and win a tshirt), newsletters and so on.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I don't know about flyers but maybe something similar like postcards maybe be better. Certain businesses around your area may allow placement of these postcards in their premises. ie. gyms, restaurants, etc.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Flyers work for somethings: for one thing, making damn sure somebody reads your advert. Heres the score with any advertisement: If you expose somebody once to your ads, you don't sell. But if this same bloke sees 50 more adverts in a week, you can bet money on your name being on the tip of his tongue.
Flyers are good for a young market. Maybe they'll think your flyering for a club or something. Put a coupon on it. But don't just flyer, expose the same audience to something else... radio... publicity stunts... break into there apartments and write your website on there mirror in lipstick, you know the basics!

-MJ

P.S. Sorry bout all the yelling!

·
Registered
804 Posts
flyers are cheap and handy..... get the 1/4 page or smaller flyers...... i like to toss them in open car windows...... also have some nice ladies on the front..... people tend to keep things with cute ladies on them......

b

·
Registered
926 Posts
Flyers can work - but they have a very low success rate.

If you use them, make sure you pass them out to a targeted market. Just leaving them on car windshields for example, won't do much good.

·
Registered
804 Posts
u have to target the areas really...

since i have a detroit "themed" line, i tend to hang in the techno/electro/hip hop scene here and i've been getting good feedback..... considering that i havent really pushed the line fully yet, the postcards are doing well for getting my name in everyones head......

try to target hair salons and barber shops.....places where people have to sit and actually read something....... maybe get in with the local paper and see if you can toss in flyers in their paper once a month.....

gotta think a little

b

1 - 20 of 26 Posts