T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the business and like most I'm starting out of the garage learning as I go. I've run into a problem with my flash unit. It trips before the element heats up completely, within just a couple of minutes. I just bought the unit and the ebay listing said it would run on a common 120V 20 amp household circuit. I'm using A heavy duty 12 gauge 15 amp 1875 w extension cord to run it. With my first few small jobs this wasnt an issue, it worked fine. But the other day when I started a run of 100 shirts, it started tripping on me. Any suggestions as to how I can get rolling again? I'm getting near a deadline and I'm stuck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
several things to try, is the circuit breaker tripping or the gfi? Look at the plug end, do they show signs of burning? How long is the extention cord? Shorter the better. try using a larger gauge size 10. Look at the amp draw on the dryer, if close to breaker rating, the breaker could be week. Best of luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
Most general household breakers are 15amps.
You could try to run that flash dryer with nothing else on that circuit, or you could run a heavy duty extension cord(must be heavy duty!) to the outlet for your laundry room. Usually they are at least 20 amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The extension cord that I am using is listed as "heavy duty", and I am running it solo on the outlet I use for my washing machine. When you say heavy duty do you mean wiring in an appliance plug to run the dryer? I double checked my breakers and they are 20 A. I just dont know what the problem is.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
The extension cord that I am using is listed as "heavy duty", and I am running it solo on the outlet I use for my washing machine. When you say heavy duty do you mean wiring in an appliance plug to run the dryer? I double checked my breakers and they are 20 A. I just dont know what the problem is.
I just went thru the same thing kinda. was using one of those roll up extension cord setups that hang from the ceiling in our shop. never triped the breaker, but it started smoking at the plug one day. went and got a 25ft. / 10 guage cord from HD. no problems since. the shorter your cord the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,910 Posts
The extension cord that I am using is listed as "heavy duty", and I am running it solo on the outlet I use for my washing machine. When you say heavy duty do you mean wiring in an appliance plug to run the dryer? I double checked my breakers and they are 20 A. I just dont know what the problem is.
Ok, it could be that you've got another outlet that's on the same circuit and drawing power.

Also, maybe the flash unit is drawing more than 20 amps. Check to see if there's a in line fuse for your flash dryer, too.
Did you buy this new or used?
It could have some little short. Carefully check the wiring on the flash while unplugged and cool.


Even though your extension cord says 'heavy duty', that may or may not be true.
Check what ampage it's rated for....
You could also feel it to see if it's getting warm at the plug area (the exposed outside part, while it's plugged in and running your dryer)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. I've fixed the problem now and made my deadline. It was the cord i was using, but also i learned that the thermo breaker that was tripping was bad. So i've replaced both and rolling on.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top