T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Still relatively new to the site, and printing in general. I am still in the middle of my first job. 72 black tee's using white plastisol ink. I got the single press starter kit from silkscreensupplies.com and it came with a heating gun to be used as the curing unit.

Needless to say I am getting a little tired of using the heat gun to cure all the shirts... also I fear I may not be curing them completely. I have done quite a bit of research on Flash Dryers, and I am looking forward to the increased production efficiency, but I feel as though I could make my own for much cheaper than what I am seeing online.

I was curious if any willing volunteers could give me a bit of info from their dryer. Maybe some specs, a model number or name size temperature. Anything really to help me purchase a similar heating unit. Basically I am looking purchase a heating unit from an industrial supplier such as McMaster-Carr or something and building a pedestal to set it on.

Thanks in advance for any of your help. I am so glad I have found my way to this site. Lots of Information!!!

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have a full Hix set up- we have a flash unit and a electric conveyer drier.

although it's possible to cure with a flash unit- it's a pain in the bum bum! and, you run the risk of burning the insides of the design, while the outside edges are only partially cured (they might flake off).

i recommend investing in a drier. i think they have small table top conveyer driers for small runs. it may be an initial out, but the time and money you will save compared to using a flash unit/gun will far out weight the price tag.

keep checking places like craigslist- or put in a want it ad at ebay.

good luck!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
qnp9999 said:
Hello,

Still relatively new to the site, and printing in general. I am still in the middle of my first job. 72 black tee's using white plastisol ink. I got the single press starter kit from silkscreensupplies.com and it came with a heating gun to be used as the curing unit.

Needless to say I am getting a little tired of using the heat gun to cure all the shirts... also I fear I may not be curing them completely. I have done quite a bit of research on Flash Dryers, and I am looking forward to the increased production efficiency, but I feel as though I could make my own for much cheaper than what I am seeing online.

I was curious if any willing volunteers could give me a bit of info from their dryer. Maybe some specs, a model number or name size temperature. Anything really to help me purchase a similar heating unit. Basically I am looking purchase a heating unit from an industrial supplier such as McMaster-Carr or something and building a pedestal to set it on.

Thanks in advance for any of your help. I am so glad I have found my way to this site. Lots of Information!!!
We have a little of everything here an infared flash dryer as well as a forced air automatic flash cure unit.. As was already said On larger prints you'll have to move the flash around and make sure the outsides reach temp also.... but a flash unit is still a good investment. As you grow and purchase a conveyor dryer you'll still need the flash unit for your Print-Flash-Print orders.... So not sure I would want to go the build my own route... A free standing adjustable height flash unit should increase your speed dramatically over a heat gun... Often I get call backs on large orders asking for 2 or 3 more shirts.... I use the flash to cure these add-ons because its not worth bringing My Forced Air Conveyor up to speed for just a couple shirts.... Hope this helps a bit.... Chuck

·
Registered
664 Posts
Plus you get into a rhythm. I have four stations, so while im printing the next shirt, the last **** is being flashed. This cycle continues when the shirts need to be reloaded. I simply have a drying platen, that the shirt goes on, is "flashed" until its cured, and then by the time its done, i have reloaded the empty platen. I think in your stage, a flash unit will be all you need for now.
As for building it your self, Go back to silkscreen supplies. I think theirs is like 300$. IF you want an element, all the parts, and a welder to put it all together{ I dont think you should sit an element anywhere but inside a metal housing with tons of insulation on the "roof" of the case} you'll be looking at damn near the same price, AND lots of your time.
You can look at it this way, Home built flash = 200$
Store bought flash = 350${ after shipping}
Conveyor dryer = 2000$ . It will be more efficient, but i dont think a simple press setup deserves teh company of a conveyor dryer!

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys thanks for the response. I know that there will always be bigger and better options out there. As for now I am printing as a 4th service provided by my production company, while I am still in college. Currently I am working out of a nook in my parents basement. With next to zero capital. So for right now I am really just looking to get a small portable drying unit that is a little bit more efficient and quicker than the gun. But I do appreciate the advice... and maybe a day will come where I will be able to afford a conveyor unit financially as well as spatially but right now that is just not something I am looking to do. So thank you gentlemen and any if anyone else has some advice for what to look for in a small portable dryer Im all ears.

·
Registered
274 Posts
we never have problems with stinkies- it's a huge basement maybe that's why. and the outside door is always open.

the only thing that is -no exaggeration- sickening is the ink wash. i could throw up when i smell it- it's so noxious. i clean screens outside and if there is a window open in the house, it will permiate everywhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Speaking of Stinks... this is getting way off topic... but is there any part of the printing process that I should be extra careful about breathing harmful fumes... I keep a fan running at all times... but I am not in the most ventilated area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
QNP9999,

I can understand the budget constraints. If you do get a flash curer I would recommend getting some 'brown board' from your local hardware store. Cut it the length of each side about 6 inches wide. Use machine screws and attach it to your curer. This will help keep the temp more uniform underneath. I have been using this technique for a couple of years. Works great.

Zoinks

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey ...
m new n m trying to start my own little business of printing..
i was wondering how many types of dryers are there?
wts the cheapest kind .. u kno fr a starter which one shud i get???
is there any kind which works like iron (heat prees)... is it any good???

·
Registered
261 Posts
Intek corp has a 16x16 flash dryer that works in normal house holds for under 300. Please note that it doesnt come with a stand you can order one from them but if you are niffty you can build one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts