T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you guys seen Fiverr.com ? If you're strapped for cash and need a quick and cheap graphic design, it's a pretty good place to start. Everything on the site costs...you guessed it...5 bucks.

My question, for all of those 'real' graphic designers out there who wouldn't even pick up their mouse for 5 bucks, is....

Are site such as Fiverr.com damaging the graphic design industry by driving rates and expectations to unreasonable new lows?

·
Registered
963 Posts
J[I said:
Are site such as Fiverr.com damaging the graphic design industry by driving rates and expectations to unreasonable new lows?[/i]
Never heard of the site until this post but I doubt it is making any impact on professional designers. As you stated, a professional designer would not even pick up a mouse for $5 and many of my clients wouldn't give a job to someone that is posting on a $5 board. But for those trying to do it themselves it may be a cheap alternative.

But I have to say you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
I agree, this is unlikely having an impact on professional designers. The same way that fast food chains don't drive down the expectations of 5-star restaurants and Hyundai's don't drive down expectations of Ferrari's. That site serves a purpose for those looking for a cheap option. And if there are people doing quality work for $5 than they are selling themselves short and allowing the client to get a steal. But there are still plenty of people and companies out there that are willing to pay industry standard rates for professional quality work and service.

·
Registered
612 Posts

I’ve surfed around Fiverr in the past, mostly because people send me links to some of the hilarious and creative things that people will do for five bucks.

I think it is completely insignificant to the industry, and I can’t imagine this could possibly hurt the graphics design industry because there is no way you could get a good graphics designer to work for $5. Even throwing together some clipart and using some generic plug-ins wouldn’t be worth doing for $5. It’s so low that I can’t imagine people who are seriously looking to hire a graphic designer to even consider the site.

Maybe if they had a $50 design site, it would cause more damage. Probably the two things that hurt designers the worst right now is all the really good vector clip art available at reasonable prices, as well as people stealing stuff off Google Images.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts