T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm getting ready to order some shirts and can't decide.

This question is for BOTH men and women's shirts.

Do I choose the fitted or just the regular fit?

I'm leaning towards the regular fit as I feel I could reach a more broad audience. However, if the fitted are more popular, will this be a poor choice?

I'm liking the Ultra-Cotton Gildan 2000 style (especially for men's shirts, although I feel it could be marketed as a unisex/women's shirt also).

For the ladies only, I'm liking the Anvil 978 which has a slight, but not tight, fit.

Second thought, how about a GREAT UNISEX shirt since I don't have much money to spend on a variety of different styles/fits of shirts at this point. Does anyone just offer one type of shirt and make it profitable?

I'll be heatpressing the transfers myself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Suz

·
Administrator
14,656 Posts
A unisex shirt means a fitted shirt for men. :)

Gildan 2000 is one of the most popular shirts around. They also make a women's version.

The Anvil for women is nice. Their men's version (side seam, fitted, ring spun, 4.5oz) is very nice as well.

If you are going to be using transfers, I would offer the full range of women's and men's styles. It's not like you would have to warehouse a complete inventory of printed shirts. Use a local wholesaler, or one close enough where you can get shirts next day, and just order from them as needed.

Let people choose between men/women and regular/fitted. This way, you are reaching everyone.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With our first set we went with (quite) fitted shirts, which caused some sizing headaches among customers (really the perception/benchmark for sizes are way too lax out there.. vanity sizing gotta go!), but they loved them in the end.

Our second series is more of a standard sizing as a test, but we're looking to be somewhere in between the two of them for shirts after that

·
Registered
286 Posts
Hi

I'm getting ready to order some shirts and can't decide.

This question is for BOTH men and women's shirts.

Do I choose the fitted or just the regular fit?

I'm leaning towards the regular fit as I feel I could reach a more broad audience. However, if the fitted are more popular, will this be a poor choice?

I'm liking the Ultra-Cotton Gildan 2000 style (especially for men's shirts, although I feel it could be marketed as a unisex/women's shirt also).

For the ladies only, I'm liking the Anvil 978 which has a slight, but not tight, fit.

Second thought, how about a GREAT UNISEX shirt since I don't have much money to spend on a variety of different styles/fits of shirts at this point. Does anyone just offer one type of shirt and make it profitable?

I'll be heatpressing the transfers myself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Suz
Hi- What is the style or look that you are going for? A more fashion forward shirt with print would probably be better for a more fitted blank. Although, I would stay away from anything that is TOO fitted as that cuts out a large section of possible customers. However, if you are trying to create a very trendy, or fashion-forward shirt, it really wouldn't make sense to go with a boxy-cut shirt like your typical Anvil or Gildan or Hanes.

However, if you are trying to create a shirt that can reach a broader audience, and you are not going for a fashionable or trendy look, then I would go with a more standard fitting shirt. If you are doing heat transfers, I am guessing this is probably the type of shirt you are creating.

As for unisex, hmmm... I would think that one is a no-go. Either offer men's only, or put the money in to offer women's. Women can still buy a man's shirt (making it unisex), but I think there is something somewhat unappealing about the concept of unisex. As a woman, it just doesn't work for me. It makes me feel uncertain about the sizing and I wouldn't know what size to buy. You don't want potential customers to feel hesitant.

Anyway, thats my 2 cents!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I agree with Beau, it really depends on who your audience is.

For some people, a more relaxed shirt like an Alstyle 1701 or a Hanes Beefy tee would be the perfect "fit" for their clothing line.

For other people, using a Hanes Beefy tee or a Gildan t-shirt would be a BAD move for their clothing line. Some clothing lines *need* a more fashion fitted t-shirt or at least a more "upscale" t-shirt.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Let me say this, if your doing fun, cute, creative or common type designs, go with the Gildan 2000 or a 100 % preshrunk shirt. People buy the print, not the shirt. I guess I'm jaded, we have printed a lot of shirts over the last 20 years (Private Label) who specify the shirt and put there tag inside, 90% have fail by using expensive shirts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts