T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i need help pricing a small job using vinyl. Its about 18 shirts with a full back print. I have prices on the shirts, but how do i price the vinyl and labor? Its going to take about a full roll of 15" x 5yrd vinyl to complete.

So my materials are about $5 a shirt, and $35 for the vinyl. What should i charge for my profit, also should i make him pay the shipping on the material?

Thanks

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Yes, he or she should pay for everything.

Total cost of shirts, vinyl, and shipping, double it, divide by the number of shirts. Are they local? If so you can give them free delivery.

You're in business to make money. If they squirm and say they're going to check and call you tomorrow, than ask him what he can approve right now. If it's a fair profit take it. If not, wait til he gets back to you or call them if they don't call by that day they say they will.

Whose doing the artwork? Also charge for that. If it's simple we usually charge a fee for names and/or companies, and extra for a logo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so according to what ur saying if its 100 for the shirts shipped, and 45 for the vinyl shipped, when added together its 145 then double it makes $290, and divided by $18 is roughly $16. So $290 for the job? so ur saying my profit is $145? double the cost of materials? $16 a shirt? Seems really high though, no? as far as the art work goes its just the name of the company and the phone number on the back. and yes i will be doing it.

·
Registered
996 Posts
If its just back and one color vinyl that can be cut and heat pressed, I would be around 11 or 12 per shirt. Maybe even 10 if they bi**h. Your saying 5 per shirt which not knowing what type of shirt, I think is high. This may leave you with a little less profit but you have to be in the ballpark with pricing. Customer should pay for shipping unless you work something out with them.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
While you want to add your shipping cost into the equation, I wouldn't mention it to the customer. That should all be part of you factoring the cost versus the marked up price you are selling it for.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You can sure add your shipping into your cost as Louie said but 5 per shirt seems a lot. I can get the shirt for about 3.25 and that is colored. Rule of thumb is cost x 2. Again...if they bit*h then work with them. Remember that for 18 shirts, not many companys are going to do them cheap. I do a lot of small qty. jobs and the customer knows that they are going to pay a little extra for this. If it's an easy design like just text or text with a vector logo, I won't charge them for the design time but I will let them know that I'm giving them a break. Customers love it when they think their getting something for nothing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
where are u getting a jeerzes 50/50 shirt with the pocket for 3.25? Without the pocket then yes 3.25. but with the pocket the cheapest i found is jiffy shirts which is $5 for a colored one.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Look at your costs:

Shirt $5.00 + freight (if any)
Vinyl $1.86ft2 (15" x 5yd = 18.75ft2) + freight (if any)
To keep it easy, 1ft2 per design per shirt.

$6.86 per shirt so far.

Your Time per hour $??
Say job takes 1hr to do
(Unpack, cut, weed, press, repack)
Let's say your time is $36.00 per hour.
36/18 = $2.00/shirt

Cost $6.86 + $2.00 = $8.86 per shirt.

50% markup = $4.46 + $8.86 --> to customer $13.32
100% markup = $8.86 + $8.86 --> to customer $17.72

So $15.00ea splits the range and gives you a little room to work in if needed.

This is a very simple scenario.
Your costs etc will differ.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Jay...I buy at Bodek & Rhodes. Wholesale account and they have a center close to me so I can pick up anything I need. Model 29MP.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Try setting up an account with Bodek and Rhodes and also San Mar each of them give wholesale accounts, but you have to have a resale license.

In NJ we don't pay taxes on clothing so it's no problem using just our state license. I'm sure you have at least that.

Both companies like you to buy about 10,000 pieces a year. When we started we set up an account at the highest price available until we starting selling alot of shirts which was about two months down the road. Then we saved thousands of dollars due to the amount we were selling. I think they have a Per Piece Price, and per dozen price. If you're wholesale, you'll get the per dozen price even if you buy one.

Someone else mentioned Bodex and Rhodes, I just picked up 99 shirts from them today. If you don't have one in your area, they'll ship Non Sale items for free if you buy at least $200 worth of products.

At 18 shirts x $5 is only $90, so you'll need to group orders together, or create a Co-op buying group.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
$5 is a little high for the shirts.

I don't like the 2x formula for tshirts. We price t's at a fixed price based on quantity, starting at $25 for our highest on a Gildan 2000 or similar anvil or jerzee shirt. We bump the price for add ons or fashion shirts. An add-on would be a pocket, upgrade in shirt, womens shirts, and so on.

For your order we would price at $12 each with a $3 add on for the pockets so we would be at $15.

Now, our costs are lower than yours as described. We purchase our shirts for less and our vinyl for less.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts