T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, a long time ago I asked what kind of cutter should I get..., I was recommended to get a graphtec 5000
or a Roland GX24 for a starter, I have since decided
not to spend the $1500-$2000 out the gate. I am thinking I want a more economical choice in the 24" range to learn with and til I really have a need for a more solid work horse ect.

That said I have read a little about different models but am not sure what to get.
Is the GCC Expert 24" a good choice for small to moderate cutting, maybe twice a month...:D

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also the specs on the expert 24 say it cuts with a max force of 250 grams. I read here that you don't want to max out the force of your machine as it can wear it out, totally makes sense. I am curious as to what is the force required for window and decal vinyl and shirts too as that is what I'd be using this machine for. I have no idea what mil, just think what you use for standard window and shirt vinyl.. and force generally required for such.
Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Also the specs on the expert 24 say it cuts with a max force of 250 grams. I read here that you don't want to max out the force of your machine as it can wear it out, totally makes sense. I am also curious as to what is the force required for window and decal vinyl and shirts too. I have no idea what mil, just think what you use for standard window and shirt vinyl.. and general force required for such.
Any info on this topic is greatly appreciated!
I don't own a Graphtec but on our Roland somewhere between 60-80 grams of force is normally what we use for most vinyl, there are exceptions where we have went as high as 110 for laminated vinyl.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The Expert Cutter will be a good choice for you. It will handle your standard heat applied and sign vinyl cutting jobs.

Most vinyl will be cut in the range of 80 - 100 grams of force. Even the thicker vinyls like Thermofilm and Spectra Cut should be able to cut around 120 grams of force. Since the Expert has a stepper motor, it isn't designed to cut tougher items that would be up around the 250 grams of force anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts