T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've been trying to avoid it, but we're in the busy season and during our second shift today we lost channels. My DTG manager is meticulous about daily maintenance (beginning of day, end of day). I mean, spotless cleaning of everything.

Losing a few nozzles is no big deal -- an F1 and we're good to go.

Today, while printing, we lost the black channel during a solid black print. Basically printed 10" of black and then just cyan. F1 and it didn't come back. Ran a nozzle check and black AND magenta were gone -- as well as one entire white channel.

Did all the things learned in training (thanks Tigers) and nothing recovered it. Replaced the dampers -- same problem. Primed the dampers perfectly, still no ink flowing.

Manually checked the capping station and it was pulling ink fine. Did a 5 minute soak on clog prevention solution and were able to see a reasonable nozzle check on all 8 channels, but printing a test print had 3 of the channel drop out again.

Tried everything we could think of, but we have shirts to print so we finally did our first powerclean. 120ml of ink, ouch.

Nozzle check post powerclean was perfect across the board. Test shirt was gorgeous, as expected.

Humidity: 60% consistently for 24/7.
Temperature: 72 degrees consistently for 24/7.
No air blowing on the printer. Encoder strip clean, wiper blade clean (dry fingernail brings up nothing), capping station gasket clean. No extra ink anywhere, no error messages. Autoclean set to every 8 hours.

We've been printing white daily, printing CMYK at least 2 shifts daily, so it isn't old dead ink. I haven't done a waterfall because my experience with waterfalling on other DTG printers isn't all that great. "Fixes" the problem but when it comes back, it's vendetta. Also didn't do a reverse waterfall, yet.

Question: how often have you found that you HAVE to run a powerclean? Of course it differs from shop to shop because of a plethora of reasons, but this is definitely something I have to adjust in my budget line going forward. Just curious how often NeoFamily all have run powercleans.

Thankfully, we're busy. Busy enough to hopefully purchase a second Neoflex in summer -- having a backup of machines you rely on is required if you don't want to put the closed sign up.

Our Neoflex has been stunning so far. Tigers have always gotten back to us quickly. NeoRIP is amazing, and NeoFamily is the best in the industry, bar none. Even better than MimakiFamily, which has been pretty darn good.

Glad that my guys are back to business, and a $20 ink loss is no big deal -- the hours we were down doing other maintenance were far more expensive because of labor and overtime.

· Premium Member
2,547 Posts
Sean will say never :p. I say time is money and if I can spend 7 minutes on a power clean and I have dozens of shirts to print I am not worried about the ink used/cost during the cleaning. With ink prices being so much lower now the concerns shouldn't be as prevalent.

· Registered
8,354 Posts
Good morning NeoFamily! My 10th day of away. Super tired.:)
7:00 AM here. My first start of day is report to NeoFamily.
Actually,
Power clean can be good to NeoFlex once a while. With cleaning solution.
As same as Epson recommend once a month.(must). Learned from Epson.
Clean the line and extra.
Compare to $120 Epson. VS. $17.88 120ml($0.149x120).
I am not trying to sell more ink. Trust me please.
It can a treat to her.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

· Registered
2,622 Posts
Sean will say never :p. I say time is money and if I can spend 7 minutes on a power clean and I have dozens of shirts to print I am not worried about the ink used/cost during the cleaning. With ink prices being so much lower now the concerns shouldn't be as prevalent.
i've never done one in the 2.5 years i've had my Neo. :) but i can see that if you are up against a deadline, that it can be useful. i just, personally, don't like to waste ink if it's not necessary, but you are right about it being better now that ink prices have come down.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
I would agree with Peter on the monthly power clean with cleaning solution. It reallly makes a difference, esspecialy if you are printing a lot.

I personaly add a little amonia to the cleaning solution to get a heavy lines flush:D

· Registered
234 Posts
we find that running cleaning solution through all channels at the end of the day on a Friday works great. we pull the ink out through the dampers and put it back in the bags, then we pull cleaning solution through to prime the dampers and not run air through the head. Then we run a couple of power cleans and then let it soak over the weekend. Keeping the automatic cleanings going all weekend with the cleaning solution. Monday morning we pull the solution out through the dampers, and then pull the inks back through the dampers, run a couple of simple cleans and the printer runs great. We do that every 6 months or so.

· Registered
2,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My actual email address is a*#[email protected](mydomain). For real. But, when someone is in a bind, I always take the loss personally to help them out. Unless they're always in a bind, then I put my boot on their throat and yell.

After reading the "nightmare" situation over at the F2000 forum about running an ink purge MONTHLY ($200 ink cost?), I'm thinking I might just consider that powerclean as a much cheaper version. Going to figure out how to do the cleaning solution powerclean this weekend!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.