T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking into expanding my garment printing business. I currently only offer heat transfer vinyl and transfer paper printed garments but I'm wanting to get a single head embroidery machine in the near future to begin with to be able to offer embroidery in house for all types of clothing and ideally caps and beanies. I don't have a huge budget and if I'm being honest want to spend between £2,000 and £8,000 (ideally towards the lower end of that scale) and fully aware that this may result in having to by a pre-owned machine which I'm absolutely fine with.

I'm just after some advice, i.e. what brands/models are best, where is best to buy these machines (ebay, stockists etc?) and any other advice you can give a newbie to this sort of thing?

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
10,331 Posts
I did this in 2008 when we got started.

Before you get into embroidery, know these things...

I would say now a single head will get you into the game but it won't be profitable. When you do your first order for 500 hats with 2 locations you will figure this out. A 4 head will make you some bank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you thought to start out with farming out your embroidery business until you determine if it would be a viable business addition. It is not just the purchase of the machine, the added costs add up. The variety of Stabilizers you will need, fabric, temporary sprays, threads, bobbins, frames, scissors, tweezers, oils, and will you be digitizing designs?

Will you be using a catalogue of designs or will you want to offer custom designs. Then you will either need to purchase the software and learn how to use it or again farm out your designs to be created. I am not trying to deter you from embroidery, I love it but I wish I knew everything involved.

You can get used embroidery machines from many places, either advertising you are looking for one. Companies that sell them offer used one also. I started from scratch years ago with a Husqvarna Designer SE sewing machine with the embroidery machine attachment. Then I move up the industrial SFW / E-T1501, which I have been very happy with now. Again a big learning curve, I received no training when I purchased it and I had to do a deep dive in to any training videos I could find from all and any sites I could find. The SFW is not the best but it's not the worst. This site gives some information of all the different machines,

Cheers, Tina

·
Registered
2 Posts
Used single head happy or tajima.
Older is ok as long as it has thread break detection.

I have a single head tajima that doesn’t have a screen but has thread break detection and it’s my workhorse.

Just as important us to find a good technician in your area and learn to digitize. It’ll be a learning experience but worthwhile in the long run as you can say yes to more customers and keep it in house.

If you get large orders, you can test on your single head before outsourcing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone for your great advice, got a lot to go by now which is great. Looking to offer embroidery by the end of next year/beginning of the year after so got plenty of time to make a good decision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts