T-Shirt Forums banner

First attempt at printing more than 1 color!

3K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  TYGERON 
I believe one absolute is that there are no absolutes, particularly in screen printing.
Perfection should always be strived for.
There are many elements that have to go together to make any print job work. And they all can be controlled to varying degrees.
But even the most ideal, perfect scenarios have the potential to go awry during a print run and I believe that sometimes it's adviseable to take steps to lessen the likelihood of awryness (LOL).
Trapping can be one of those steps. Knowing how to do it and when it can be effectively and appropriately used to ensure and optimize production is the key.

True to some extent but when would trapping ever help if something went awry during a print run? And what would that something be? Could it be the press cannot hold registration? Could it be the screens are sloppy? Could it be you start with a pull stroke and then during the print run decide to swap to a push stroke? I would like to know what could go wrong during a print run that would make someone trap in advance just in case because I have never had anything like that happen in all my years of printing so I have never had to prepare for it by trapping.
You just answered your questions with the questions you posed. It could be any one of what you mentioned.

And earlier you said: "Trapping is a band-aid for loose screens, sloppy press or the inability to register a print and in my opinion trapping should never be used. If you have to trap then you either need better screens, better equipment, more practice or get out of the business.

There are printers who print with looser than recommended screens. Printers who have inexpensive, less than perfect or "sloppy" presses. Printers who for what ever reason have registration issues. For example: Could be less than stable vellum that shrinks in a laser printer. Yes that could be addressed by preshrinking the paper or going inkjet or...trapping.
I can say whether or not any of the above should be, but that's of no consequence because such situations do exist.

And you should be commended for never having had less than optimum scenarios, less than perfect equipment and having the knowledge and skill to have avoided issues that could, for a number of folk, be "band-aided" by trapping. And especially considering the longevity you've accrued.

And the opinion that "trapping should never be used."

That opinion like all opinions is fine and all good.

As such there are folk who agree as well as disagree.

IMAGES - THE JOURNAL FOR TEXTILE SCREENPRINTING ,EMBROIDERY, PROMOTIONAL CLOTHING AND GARMENT DECORATION

(And he says, "To compensate for the deficiencies of the process")

Hey, I believe that "spell check" is a band-aid for unwillingness to take time to look up a word to be sure and a growing inability to spell. And in my opinion it should never be used...well at least not alone. Well, maybe only as an extra check...or a starting point.

Funny and you got me on the spelling but I do not do spelling for a living. I print for a living and I'm required to spell everyday as an integral part of that living. And I only trust "technology" to a certain point...LOL! I print. And spell check is a tool, not a band-aid. Problem is that a seeming growing number of people use it as one.

So all the reasons one should trap in advance are to band-aid a problem that can be fixed before hand. No, not all. Yes. Proactive preparation. I get it. But are you implying that you've never had a problem fixed beforehand, at some point unfix? Never?? I understand why people trap. I also understand that they should not keep doing it just to keep from fixing the real problem. I agree. If trapping is done because of a fixable problem, then fix the problem. I get it and agree. BUTT (pun intended) trapping doesn't have to be compensation for or a remedy to an existing problem. Find the problem, fix it in the future so you do not need to trap. If you realize that trapping is a band-aid and only use it until you learn and figure out how not to use it then your print quality will go through the roof. Not just because you no longer trap but you took the time to realize why you where trapping and worked towards and learned how to eliminating it.
Sage words. And we're on one accord. If there's a problem, don't short cut it...ultimately fix it if or until you can. End of problem. Gotcha.

But I still stand by the notion that the most well laid plans and all the preparation in the world don't always result in consistently perfect and flawless print runs. There are too many possible variables that can possibly go wrong that can be lessened by simply trapping. Trapping doesn't have to suggest nor imply ineptness, lack of skill. And it doesn't necessarily impede production and if done properly it doesn't have to reduce print quality. And I'm not by any stetch advocating doing it all the time. But I can't totally dismiss it as something to avoid at all costs. Work towards not having to do it. I butt register a lot. Successfully. Sometimes I don't do it. Multicolor nylon for example. Flashing makes it move. Yes the hold-down, the off contact, the pre-flashing, the critical temperature monitoring, the proper ink to minimize flash times, print stroke, speed, angle, squeegee durometer, screen tension, mesh count, press calibration...

But I'm gonna trap if for no other reason than one extra element to lessen the likelihood of registration issues.

Well, I take 50 on ty.
See there ya'll go trying to start a hot mess...LOL!

I agree with what Preston said. The context just had to be clarified and concessions have to be made for the fact that everyone doesn't have facility for the most ideal of printing situations and as such compensations are often made. If you have a single platen and a free screen set up (no print arms), or Yudu type, trap for more than one color. If you have a cheap press that doesn't hold registration well, trap. Laser vellum kinda inconsistent, then trap. It would be easy to say, "get a decent press and an inkjet." May not be an option. You may have the perfect set up on all accounts and tons of skill and knowledge and an issue comes up that you really don't have time to diagnose and remedy. Trapping may be appropriate. I had a job (which I trapped...just because LOL!)
Had a spring break. Registration slipped but not enough that the trap didn't save me having to remove the screen, replace the spring, re-set
up and register that screen. Rare occasion but makes my point. You never know.

Now if you're having issues and your platens aren't level, press isn't calibrated, screens are warped, off contact is jacked etc. and you're trapping to keep from having to remedy what is remedyable, then go ahead and remedy the problem.

And bottom line...better to know how to trap and not need to than to need to and not know how. Just another tool in the knowledge arsenal.

Yeah, in an effort to make amends for my role in the egregious highjacking of this thread, I did PM the OP. The full nature of the PM I won't divulge, but suffice it to say, it did include an apology :D.

And this on it's way to Preston:

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.