T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I'm posting this in the right area, I have some questions about starting out.

I heard from another successful screen printer in my home town that they had bought a machine off of Craigslist for $300. This sounded kind of absurd to me, but they had the proof to back it.

I'm wondering if this is a good idea to pursue for starting out, and if so what pitfalls should I be looking out for? What are the main qualities in a simple screenprint machine that I should really pay attention to? (please don't say obvious things like, one that's not broken)

If you think a site like Craigslist is wrong, what other sites/Companies could I pursue and what sort of minimum pricing do they have?

I am an artist who also creates designs for tees, so feel free to use lingo and I will ask about specific things I don't know. Also please check out my site if you're interested in seeing a new artist to the forums!

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I highly recommend youtees.net

He also has youtube videos explaining the process. If you buy his extremely cheap and effective press he sends you a mailing list of what to buy. Like where to buy the best inks, screens, squeegees, emulsion, etc. He is all about getting the most for your dollar. He teaches 100% quality screen printing with his patented micro-tuning process. He is from Oregon.
The best customer service I seen in a while too.

·
Registered
72 Posts
check out my post 1 station four color press, this is s good price 329 but like splathead says rayonet have their silverpress for 399 and anything over 100 dollars is free shipping. I reviewed the videos on the other unit and its a great system, but I'm not sure I want to commit type of system till I have been printing for a while.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think finding a quality press and other equipment off Craigslist is totally reasonable.

Look out for all-in-one packages, it is much better to piece together your pro-quality level equipment than to get some bottom of the line piece of junk that you will never be happy with. Most of the all-in-one things are barely acceptable for hobby-level consumers.

That being said, I have bought much of my equipment new and I am really glad I did. The whole process is smoother when you start with quality equipment and supplies.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
Are you looking for a big system or just a one color one screen to get started? I bought one from logosSp.com and they sell many upgrades, inks, squeeges etc. Craigslist is good, but you're not going to get support unless you get a person selling one of their extra machines and they're still in business.

If you buy a one color one station, there's a guy in South Carolina I think that sells a one color plus some registration gagets to add multiple colors. I bought two. I can't remember his website or how I found him. I think I searched for Flash Units or Exposure Units on ebay and he popped up. Okay, did a quick search and it's Knight Manufacturing. On ebay it's Knight*MFG I'm sure I have his email address at home somewhere or you can google it. Okay, googled it for you: www.knight-mfg.com/micros Hope this helps

·
Registered
290 Posts
If at all possible craigslist is a definite option. Have money in hand and someone with a truck close by. Also like the other poster said look for all in one packages. Trying to get good price on individual pieces is more work than I ever expected. Also to reiterate the point about the silver press, I would've got one of their start up kits with that press if I had not got lucky and found the press I eventually bought. I and several other members can vouch for their customer service, and most would recommend the silver press as a first press when budget is a consideration.

·
Registered
6,328 Posts
With either system you're talking about $400 max. I've watched Craigslist and I haven't seen much for that price. The nice think is that they're plenty of videos to watch on youtube to teach you what you don't know, and having this website to ask questions is a great plus.

I wouldn't rule out looking for a local screen print supply company in your area. We have one close to us, and if we wanted to open a small office we could go there and get everything we need. The owner would even walk us through what supplies to get.

A friend of mine did just that, and the owner through in Scott Freshners book.

After one customer, you'd pay for the machine.

·
Registered
911 Posts
if you buy a used one, i would set up the screens and give it a spin..make sure the screens dont wiggle, you dont want any play or registration will be a problem. I just bought a second hand 4 clr hopkins and exposure unit and flash off craigslist for 600.00.
...also...get a six colour at least if you can. tom knight has great tuts on how to use tints to get more colour without xtra screens..is pretty interesting if you havent seen it yet.
http://advancedtshirts.com/tutorial...utorials/95/the-power-of-tinted-palettes-.htm

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hi again Chris, I'd keep looking at craigslist and there's a couple supply places around Tempe area I deal with. PM me and I'll give you the info and answer any questions you might have in starting out in screenprinting.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks for reposting the link, some great tutorials on Photoshop , Corel, etc. good site. I'm using a older version of Corel 12 but A fried converted the cdr files for me so I can do some of the tutorials but some are for features in the newer versions

·
Banned
63 Posts
The below applies to the 'gator 401' press as equally as it does to knight-mfg.

People are going to buy what they are going to buy...for any number of reasons. I have a horse in this race. But I am fair. I can say and prove that Jaimie Knight hopped on the back of MY horse and expected me(and YOU)not to notice. Only thing is...the guy on the BACK of the horse is not the one who is steering the horse! A wannabe at best.

I came up with on screen micro tuning(as at least 200 people can attest)back in 1990. I was working in a shop on a very expensive multi color press that never the less would NOT keep the screens for(4 to 6 colors each) the small flags I was printing, in alignment. It was then, with NOTHING to see(or ideas to steal)that the idea for my micro tuner popped into my head. In 1990...I'm pretty sure Jaimie Knight was sitting in grade school with NO interest or knoweledge of/in screen printing. In fact, his ebay ads say clearly that he has NO videos to explain screen printing. He hopes people will buy the dumbed down version he offers based on the logic of on screen micro tuners...which he stole from me(as did Gator 401) and STILL could not get(either of them!) right!

SP is very much about accuracy but it is also FAR MORE. My skills and knowledge did not begin with Jaimie or on the day I came up with micro tuners. I was already nearly 12 years in SP before I had that idea. Right about the time Jaimie(if not gilligan also?) would have been playing with his/their favorite Hotwheels cars? He cannot add apparently...but I trust YOU can? Yet Gilligan has SO much to say, in open and threads now closed, so that I cannot respond to his disparagements.

Just know that when it comes to SP and who knows what...Gilligan; Midwaste and Jaimie(and?)have shown up to the SP 'gunfight' with pea shooters. As at least part of the 'crowd' looks on in awe and ignorance. I'm not a fan of ignorance. Re SP or in forums. My customers and equipment owners/users KNOW this. I know a guy who owns a bike shop who has a sign in his window: "it is impossible to make anyhting 'fool-proof', as fools are SO ingenious!" Little harsh? Truth often is...(JODY).

3,200 people love my equipment and some have even used it to accomplish great things. I'm I to blame for those who cannot or won't? Or for speaking up FOR myself when I have a right to? only people I know who do NOT do so have little self esteem and have gone nowhere. I used to print 12 hour...even may 16 hour and a few 24 hour days/stretches at SP. Not easy or even anything to be concieted over. Astronauts get better pay. many burger joint mgrs get better pay! But I ALWAYS cared ; knew and had pride in my work. That has not changed as I work for myself and the few who get it...well BEYOND the Gilligans and Jaimies who look to pull the rug out from under me.

World is full of that. Was in 1979 when I got into SP and it is now alive in 2011. I don't claim to be a master of or even that interested in forums. Some master keyboards/trolling. I am a master of screen printing. Before 'them' and forums. A keyboard is MUCH easier to use than being a really skilled printer (or equipment builder/backer). That is why most have and will never do all of it. Those who steal and degrade the true developers, have not yet 'done it' either. They are okay with that pretense...I am not. Never have been.

Some down me for talking about what I know, if it does not directly involve putting ink on a tee!...but then they come here as NON owners/users/ or even able to understand me and what I do and talk about me, who they know NOTHING about. But they are amused at their own ignorance. I like to label things...so YOU will have some truth to make your decisions based on...and not these guys.

Jaimie Knight says in "2003" he started making equipment. 13 14 years AFTER I came up with the idea and had built sold around 1500. There is a poster named 'gilligan' here who is not as reasonable as he wants YOU to believe he is regarding me and or all of this. he will even refer you to Jaimie and his copied and dumbed down equipment. Gilligan calls me "crazy" often and Rodney allows that slamming while at the same time removing what I have said to Gilligan and/or closing threads as at the same time Rodney preserves the insults here, there and everywhere from Gilligan. What does that tell you?

Do I have a reason to be upset? Yes. More than one reason? Yes. But it is NOT the center of my life, being angry, just because I do not hesitate to handle these things on a forum. I have been more honest than Gilligan...Midwaste... And certainly far more honest than Jaimie Knight. Again...PROVABLE.

Jaimie Knight makes metal micro tuners and due to the adjust bolts being also metal their is an issue with tolerance/slop that makes it necessary to employ a 'lock nut' on EVERY micro tuner you mount to the screen. which also means you have to loosen each and every lock nut any time you want to make a minor adjustment. That will be a waste of time for any body first mounting and then when adjustinmg MT's during a job.

I thought the idea of takins somebody's idea was 'supposed to be' that one could make it better(?) but he did not do that. that is why I say 'dumbed down' as his version is so. My micro tuner is designed so that it can be adjusted at any time with NO slippage and NO locknut. I had nothing to go by when I invented the idea and yet even with jaimie looking at the REAL deal he still misses this flaw and gladly offers that flaw to YOU.
WHY after 30 plus years of doing and loving screen printing would I toss it all away to be as angry as some of you people think I am? Think more...post less...at least about me. you don't know me and guys like Jaimie(and Gilligan) are darn glad of THAT.

So...back to the 'race' . I cannot keep the horses off the track (or the internet) which means I just have to be MORE out there and running faster. Do I like that guys are competing in the market with BAD versions of my GOOD ideas? Of course not. If you need me to explain that in a way that will make you feel warm and fuzzy...don't wait. Instead I am holding to what I know is true and the REAL skills i have.
Some of you accuse me of ranting and making too long videos with stuff you don't want to hear. fine...I will send you back the money you paid for all the info you also got but with little to no thanks.
I've said it before and i say it here again: I am here ONLY for those who get what I do. I have been in EVERY phase of SP for over 30 years. Some of you think all I know is wrapped up in a table top press I offer!? Wow. I never set out to sell systems or with the on screen micro tuners. I was talked into it by locals. I was just glad that I had invented and applied a logic that had never been applied before.
Others do not be able to do the same...as they copy my ideas(with no thanks)...or when they come on a forum.

As for 'Gilligan' he has a very long way to go before he can call me 'crazy' in any way that matters to me. I paid my dues in the real world of SP and design and caring about/working hard for customers. He has not. Far harder than trolling on forums.
My past/ current and REAL customers (to come)KNOW where to find me. No Gilligans peppered troll forums required. And people wonder why I do not frequent forums!? Now you know. A LITTLE bit more.
Before you BUY your 'stuff'...KNOW your 'stuff'. investigation pays off; you will be glad you did when it is just you and the screens/inks and you either know what you are doing...or do not. I spent a LOT of years earning what I know in SP. Or I would not build or offer anything to anyone. I've done it every way in every kind of shop and now my goal is to distill SP to what matters.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts