T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.gymratapparel.com/

Finally live after about a month of making it lol.

Let me know what you guys think.
I did all the graphics and my buddy did all the back end in Flex.
I really enjoy the shopping system and the filtering system he set up.
It seems like a cooler more hands on way to shop to me.

All the kinks are worked out besides my referer system, for some reason it wouldn't send me the email and checkout to paypal. Speaking of paypal we integrated Paypal completely.

Please give me comments and criticisms and let me know if you can find any problems.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Really nice, Frank. I like the way you can select design/color/shirt/size, etc. ... that's really cool. Only two comments ...

1) as crazy as this may sound, some people are likely to overlook the navigation for creating the shirt. You might consider adding some text on the left side of that window like "Use the navigation above to begin ..." - or even a cool floating arrow to the left of the "select gender" drop down that reads "start here".

2) Also some folks may not get that the "C" stands for clear. Maybe you could put something else there instead ... like an "X" or the "go back" symbol. Or maybe even just the word "undo".

But I think overall it looks really good. Nice job!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, i just fixed that stuff =] but I am going to wait till i fix my other problem to reload everything.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think the overall site looks great. It was REALLLLLY slow loading for me and never made it through to see anything. I am a very impatient surfer that likes to see things fast and find what I am looking for.

The text on the about me page was difficult to read.

I'll bookmark and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
584 Posts
This really is a great start! The look, design, colors, and elements of the page are very clean and laid out nicely. I do have some personal opinions, take them with a grain of salt.

1) Flash. whew, here we go. You are using lots of flash that can cause a bunch of problems with people viewing your site. In 4 thread replies, there are already two complaints of people sayin that the site is loading too slow. One main thing about website building, is making sure file sizes are small enough so that people can load the content quick. Otherwise, you'll have people like opschf who will leave instantly if results aren't instant.

Another problem with flash - You are going to have one heck of a time getting your site to show up on any seach engines. The search engines need content to crawl your site, and with all the flash, your homepage has pretty much no content (as in text). This may or may not be a problem with you, because some people get by just from word of mouth. But if you are hoping to get rankings on any search engine, you will need to add some content. The first paragraph is a great paragraph for content, but it's embedded in the Flash and no engine will ever see this.

2) I had to view the page twice to finally see that there is more artwork that can be added. The scroll bars work great, but it doesn't really stand out and say that you can scroll down for different art. I would make something here that tells the reader that there is more stuff you can add, otherwise they will leave your page never knowing the other goodies that there are.

3) Your About Us page has great content for search engines, but I'd spruce it up a bit with an image or two. The site has this really cool look to it, but when you get to the About Us page it looks rather bland compared to the rest.

Keep up the good work and keep tweaking it. I really do like the design and layout, great job!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
I just clicked over to the site and it didn't load after 5 minutes. I didn't get to see the flash, but I would already advise against it :)

I can't offer much more in the way of feedback because the site never came up for me.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That's interesting that it is loading slow (or not at all) for everybody else, because it loaded fast for me. :confused: I mean ... not blazing fast ... but definitely less than 5 seconds.

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
I had the same problem, loaded super slow. I also agree with Rhonda that the c for clearing the choices should be an X, as most people know that x ends things :) Its a nice site and very functional, although I do question whether some people will understand what they are supposed to do. I would some how try to put some type of instruction that would be simple and easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It has a very good gym feel to it and I like that for your demographic.

one thing that stood out for me was the shopping cart was a little pixelated, which can standout on a web 2.0 design.

but overall I think you executed a very well designed site.
Good Job

·
Registered
220 Posts
Nice! Loaded pretty fast, and playing mix-n-match was easy and fun. The designs are very witty too. It's one of the more user-friendly "design-your-own-shirt" websites I've come across.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am glad you guys like the interface.
I will be adding directions in the customizer.
I will also work on minimizing file size.

And as for search engine optimization you basically make nodes in html that is really dumby text that relates to your site. It gives crawlers all the stuff it needs. Just havent gotten to it yet.

Ill be reloading the site in several hours.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok guys i cut the .swf almost in half so loads shouldnt be a problem.

also changed all the shirts from .pngs to .jpegs which would up being a tenth of the original file size. so the shirt doesn't take 3 seconds to appear.

also added instructions. changed the price to red.

let me know what you guys think of the updates.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the feedback guys. i am glad everyone likes it.

as for firefox it seems to be working fine for me.

and i may be making the drop downs more intuitive by getting rid of the clear buttons. ill keep you guys posted.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts