T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have been very interested in screenprinting for some time now and finally have some extra $$$ I would like to get a small setup for hobby but I have only a few final questions before I dive in: Can I cure a shirt with plastisol inks with a flash dryer ? I don't see me having the money or the need for a belt oven (I don't think that's the right word but you know what I mean)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you wouldn't mind explaining something: can I set the flash at 340 degrees ? if not, then how would I know the temperature ? It seemed basic enough once I did my research online and youtube and t-shirt forums but a neighbor tells me I can't do it. Sometimes I wonder if maybe he is just bragging about his oven curer. After my research, I was under the impression that I could do final cure with the flash cure machine.

·
Administrator
14,489 Posts
Flash dryers generally don't have settings. Just an on/off switch. It actually gets a lot hotter than 340, which is good. The hotter the flash, the faster your shirts cure.

A basic flash, set at 5 inches from the garment, will take 30-40 seconds to fully cure a shirt. The only way to know for sure if its cured is to use a temperature gun. There are other tests you can do if you don't have a temp. gun. Like stretch test. Stretch the print, if it cracks, its not cured enough. If it stretches and springs back, then it should be cured.

·
Registered
72 Posts
do a search fro thermometers and you should find a 20 dollars hand held at harbor freight. Works great. not a pistol grip but has a lazer pointer and a lifetime guarantee per the add. Think intec makes it

·
Registered
911 Posts
ive used a flash to cure for a couple years no problems...but it is harder to cure larger designs without an oven.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was wrong, the thermometer is by cen tech but sold at harbor freight, below is a site that a guy set up on a comparison a cen tec with another brand, this is not the same model the one I have reads higher temps, needed for the flash unit
IR Thermometers 2

The link to harbor freight and this unit and the one I have is below, they have other brands and styles as well, which ever one you like is fine by but I'm learning myself and flashing is what I'm practicing now, I absolutely needed this for temp control, already caught the temp on my shirt shoot up to 353 and had to stop and raise the flash to 8 inches to avoid scorching.

cen tech thermometers - Google Product Search

Infrared Thermometer
ITEM # 93984

Just point the laser at the intended surface and this non-contact Infrared Thermometer instantly measures temperatures from a distance
It's sometimes called a laser thermometer, because you use the built-in laser to target the surface, but actually it's an infrared thermometer that measures electromagnetic radiation coming from the surface. It's the safest way to measure temperatures in hazardous areas (like automobile engines or other machinery), hard-to-reach places and other areas where a non-contact digital thermometer makes the most sense. LCD backlit display reads to 1/10 of a degree in Fahrenheit or Celsius. 40-hour battery life.

Professional-quality, infrared technology at an excellent value
Temperature range: -27° to 482° F (-33° to 250° C)
Accuracy: greater of +/- 4° F (2° C) or 2% of reading
Distance-to-spot ratio: 6:1
Exclusive ergonomic trigger control

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts