T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently using a trial version of Filmmaker with my 1400.

No matter what settings I choose the program lays down way too much ink. I am using waterproof film and i am getting bleeding down the entire image.
I have tried to change how many cartridges it prints from, the DPI, small dots or big dots, the Maximum Ink amount, the Variable Dot settings and I have had no success changing the ink output.

Am I missing something in this program???

p.s. I'm using Waterproof film from Victory Factory:
http://www.victoryfactory.com/film.html

· Registered
8,374 Posts
Make sure you choose print mode 1440x720SD. First print with 1 channel. Turn off show advanced options that should reset options. What program are you printing out of.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Make sure you choose print mode 1440x720SD. First print with 1 channel. Turn off show advanced options that should reset options. What program are you printing out of.
Printing out of CorelDRAW X3 right now.
I think I might have figured it out. I was setting the options for the printer queue but I wasn't changing the settings for each job.. I went to the settings for the specific job I was printing and it was set up at the max ink levels.. I set those down for that job and the prints aren't bleeding..
So now it's just a questions of finding the threshold that gives me the darkest film without bleeding..
Unfortunately I only have 7 films left to test on so I hope that I will figure it out shortly :)

Do you mess with the Variable Dot Settings? My first print after changing the settings were too light.. I don't know which setting to adjust first to try and get a darker print..

· Registered
8,374 Posts
The job queue will retain settings from the printer queue. You running all black? Stock ink. Also if you run head alignments and get it set you can print in bi-directional will greatly reduce printing times

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The job queue will retain settings from the printer queue. You running all black? Stock ink. Also if you run head alignments and get it set you can print in bi-directional will greatly reduce printing times
I am printing bi-directional right now with no loss in image quality. I am running refillable carts, but not all black. It is claria-style(uv blocking) ink from CISinks.com

I am not sure if changing the resolution, or going to big dots, or going to multiple carts, or just changing the VDS will be the next move up. I fear moving right to 4 or 6 carts might just flood the film again..
I already destroyed my printer rollers. I'm going to need to clean them before I do any actual digital prints so I don't get lines through the print.

· Registered
8,374 Posts
When doing all 6 you need to over ride the halftone setting to all channels #2 dot size and 80 or less. I have one printer works good at 75 on each channel and other printer I have to run at 40 each channel. Cadlink told me to run at #2 dot when running all 6 black. Print some stuff with lots of gradients and check out the variable dot. I use the elliptical dot mostly.

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When doing all 6 you need to over ride the halftone setting to all channels #2 dot size and 80 or less. I have one printer works good at 75 on each channel and other printer I have to run at 40 each channel. Cadlink told me to run at #2 dot when running all 6 black. Print some stuff with lots of gradients and check out the variable dot. I use the elliptical dot mostly.

the dot size or # and halftone override are 2 different things..
the halftone tab only gives options for LPI, angle, and dot shape..

The Dot #'s are in the Variable dot menu. I feel a little confused on what you were saying. I have my halftones set to 23lpi as I'm printing this on a 110 screen (The halftones are just dropshadowing so the lower LPI haltones are fine).
So If I switch to 6 colors I should change the dot # on each color to 2 and change their percentage down to between 75 and 40??

Thx so far for the help!!

· Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I was able to get a very good film on what I think is probably my max setting. I got the white edges around the ink so I know any more and i'll get runs/bleeding.. Hopefully it will still expose ok with the edges..

I used:
6 color channels
1440x720 Big Dots
Media: Transparency
Bidirectional (for speed)

VDS I set to not override so I'm assuming that sets all the channels to Dot#3?

This seemed to work pretty well. The film the I just printed reminds me of doing 2 passes when I used to have a single blackmax cart in my printer.. You can still see light through it a little bit, but it's a dark dark red tint as opposed to a dark yellow tint when printing with a light amount of ink.

· Registered
8,374 Posts
Yea my bad was in the variable dot set up for size. From what Cadlink told me big dots you still get all 3 size dots. When choosing medium dots or #2 you get medium and small dots. They do have good support just the guy had to ask the engineer several questions that I had asked but called me right back with the answers. I only use the rip for half tones. Otherwise I use my old true and tried method.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.