T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need to learn the art of film separations. Index, process, simulated process. I'm told that most of the automatic programs like Fast Films really only do half the work for you. The other half comes from experience. Experience that I don't have. We currently out-source most of our seps, but in order to save some money we really want to do all of them in-house before sending them to our screenprinters.

Nobody I've talked to wants to show me how to do it. It's like some closely guarded trade secret. I realize I'd be taking money away from the person who shows me how to do it, so I understand their reluctance to share this knowledege.

I know Photoshop fairly well, and I'm confident I could learn this process. Can anyone recommend a good starting point? Is there a good book on the subject? I'd really appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
Hi,
Don't your screen printers output the color seps for you ?
You can always bring along some coffee and donuts for the crew and watch. :)

I know what you mean about Fort Knox.

I'm sure someone will come along with some info.....

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Sounds like he is a screen printer.

I know the feeling. I wanted to learn too, and got the same cold shoulder. Now I just stick to spot colors and Corel Draw.

It still is my goal to learn seps though. If you ever here of any classes, I'd love to hear about them.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input, guys. We do our own spot color seps in-house with illustrator and send the films to our screen printers (we use more than one.).

I've looked into Fast Films and Screenprint Separator as two possible programs. The screenprinters that we use all advise against them. Of course, it's in their best interest to keep me dumb because they can charge us more for doing the seps themselves.

I'm just a little frustrated because I feel like I've been in the business long enough to know this stuff by now.

Thanks for letting me vent a little. I appreciate all your feedback. Especially knowing I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I have people come by all the time. Wouldnt be a problem having you look over my shoulder for a day.

The majority of our prints are simulated process on light and darks.
You can ask for referrals in the artists forums at usscreen.com

I use FF as a starting point of rmy seps and generally spend an hour to two afterwards tweaking.
I aslo separate totally from scratch and learned to before getting FF. It helps to speed the process as I create & separate for companies all over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts