T-Shirt Forums banner

Fill in dead white space

[Illustrator] -  
4K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  aplusbowling 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello
I have a big flame and through the middle is the name of a bar. I vectorized it in AI CS2.
Then I expanded it (I get lost here on wether to expand or live paint - not sure what both do really)

I used the direct selection tool and highlighted the path (guess thats what its called) around the letters and got it removed. However I can't fill the white space left in with any colors.
Tells me to make a live paint bucket group.
But can't seem to get it.
Pics attached. ai rebar.jpg is the one were I am stuck at.

What I am trying to do is fill in the white space with same flame color to fill it in.

Thanks
Mark

#2 ·
My guess is what seems like the "white letters" is actually the flame path that was created to outline the letters. Use the direct selection tool and click the flame path. Now use the Pen tool with the "-" symbol next to it (delete anchor point tool) and click on the anchor points where the text outline is. This should eliminate the "white text outline" you are seeing. Hope this helps!

#3 ·
looking over the blue flame I can see that the text is on the same vector line as the flames. The problem with this is the flame is open on the right side of the text so you cannot add color to this without closing it. You need to copy the flame in a new layer, cut the vector line and delete everything but the text outline then close up the text outline and add color. However it looks like you have lost more of the text then this will fix. It needs to be recreated.

#4 ·
looking over the blue flame I can see that the text is on the same vector line as the flames. The problem with this is the flame is open on the right side of the text so you cannot add color to this without closing it. You need to copy the flame in a new layer and, cut the vector line and delete everything but the text outline then close up the text outline and add color. Let us know if you need help
Nick
Thanks. Can that be translated into dummy noobie english. :)
I got the open on the right side. I see that. Kinda figured that was part of the problem.
Don't understand same vector line.
So when I go back to redo this.
Wwhen I live trace it should I expand or live paint ?
THanks for the help
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.