T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey boys and girls, very fresh to the forum! I've been reading around, definitely looks like a very helpful place to start. Just a quick brief about myself: I've been into strength training and martial arts for a number of years. I have my bachelors in exercise science & moving into a doctor of physiotherapy.

This being my off year, i've decided to make some training apparel (mainly though frustration in not being able to find some reasonable training tanks/singlets, with a nice logo but nothing flashy)

My first issue of considering is with regards to copyrights. My prints will be a collation of different pictures, cropping and chopping. What's the deal with using silhouettes? I love the black and white contrast - are they are safe option to use on prints?

I'm getting my head around illustrator at the moment, and flicking between that, and sadly, paint. (i'm an academic, not a designer - though I have two artistic mates of mine looking over my shoulder, and they love the simplicity of it all).

I've managed to find a decent supplier internationally, and am waiting for test prints to arrive at my front door, which should be today. Then i'll be going ahead with it.

I was thinking possibly 5 designs to start off with, and see how I go. I'd like to set up shop on ebay first, while working on a cart system in the background (anyone care to show me their e-commerce clothing solution?)

Really enjoying reading this forum so far - and i've love any advice from the been there and done that brigade.. anything to be cautious of, etc etc.

Also, when sending off a print electronically - what is the best format to do so? I've been using standard RGB high quality Jpeg, and they seem to come out fine. I do remember though, when I did my business card - it was CMYK.

All part of the learning curve I guess.

Edit: Oh, and the place i'm getting the stuff from has said this is the type of printing they do:
With regards to print, we can do custom print as well. We use a manual print machine and use rubberized paint. We also do embossed paint if you desire.

What is the hierarchy of print quality and longevity? I did an ink jet one which I imagine is the worst, and the print has flaked off after a few weeks (although, surprisingly still ok for a cheap transfer). However, I'd want some that lasts a little longer than that.

Thanks in advance fellas, good to be here.

regards,
Sam

·
Registered
6,680 Posts
Hey Sam, welcome to the forums. This is definitely the place to be to learn about the biz.

My first issue of considering is with regards to copyrights. My prints will be a collation of different pictures, cropping and chopping. What's the deal with using silhouettes? I love the black and white contrast - are they are safe option to use on prints?
Any time you use images that you didn't originally create, there is always some level of risk. Of course, much of it depends on what you do with it. Doesn't make it any more legal, but it could make it less risky. As long as you are not using recognizable people or artwork, you're probably ok. You can always post images here on the forum to get specific answers if/when you need to.

I wish you luck with your brand!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks mate, appreciate it.

Yeah my mate, who is a graphic artist for a business - said when he uses images, there's a certain percentage they work by to avoid copyright (based on 'deceptively similar'). I'll try figure out how to use this forum properly and upload my image. It's nothing intricate, just a text I found and made it in a logo program I have!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
For some reason I can't see the manage attachments section to upload an image??

Edit: I've also been tossing up between big cartel and coffee cup. Ideally, i'd like to use my own domain name. Is it relatively easy to link your domain with the cart system (and how much versatility do you have?). The other issue is working out postage etc, how does that particular system work out? (I'm in Australia)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks mate - i'm going full steam ahead.. whether it works or not doesn't matter - i'll keep going until I get it right!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts