T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone would be willing to share which color shirts you've found to be popular with women. Any trends/patterns you could share would be helpful!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
27,691 Posts
Depends on the female (age/background/tastes).

Some like babydoll shirts that show the midriff, some like just "fitted" shirts that aren't boxy like the mens/unisex shirts, and some prefer the mens styling of shirts.

If you have a babydoll that is fitted (not necessarily super snug, just styled for women) that doesn't show the belly, then that's a pretty good overall shirt to pick if you were just choosing one style.

Maybe rabid can shed more light on this subject, since his site seems to be geared towards the ladies :)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'd love to help!

Ho boy have I learned a lot in this process. Beleive me, I feel the special pain that is trying to create products for and target a market that you yourself is not a part of. You must get in touch with your feminine side... which is not to say you should wear the clothes... ANYWAY! I know you just asked for colors, but I'll try to shoot for the whole ball. What the heck.

Rodney said:
Depends on the female (age/background/tastes).

Some like babydoll shirts that show the midriff, some like just "fitted" shirts that aren't boxy like the mens/unisex shirts, and some prefer the mens styling of shirts.
Very true. I apologize if I'm going to somewhat generalize here, let's just say in advance that I'm a pig. I don't know what your market is, but older women (define that yourself, I want to keep my shorthairs intact) tend to like shirts with a more classic cut. That is to say, not extremely form-fitting, not something like with cap sleeves and not showing a lot of skin. Your typical "mom" is like this, for example. The younger crowd tends towards the fitted tee. If you offer clothing with a "fashion contour" then suggest to your customers who prefer a more loose-fitting shirt to order 1 size larger than normal.

On to the fashion contour, sometimes called fashion silhouette: For women of the youthful type I think it's safe to say that most don't like a "men's cut" and prefer a fitted tee. The younger the tighter it seems these days. Most major brands like AA, Bella, etc. offer shirts like this in the mini-ribbed variety. You can tell these shirts by the hourglass shape and snug fitting armholes.

As far as color, I've been told in no uncertain terms that white is the worst color to go with for everyday wear. A lot view this as underclothing or stuff you wear to bed or for layering. If you offer designs in that category then no problem. I don't really have a broad sampling of color popularity, and I'd say again it depends on age group probably, but I've found black, navy and most variations of blues like royal and baby blue, pink, red, and heather to be popular so far. Army, kelly, and tan are up there too but it kind of depends on your designs, some work better than others.

Clothing weight is a point to bring up too. Lighter tees of the "sheer" variety are becoming more popular than the traditional heavyweights along with 2-tone tees and tees with contrast stitching. The lighter tees would normally present a problem for heat press people like me but a lot of them don't come in dark colors, so we're cool. Reason being, the opaque transfer paper or vinyl stuff you use with dark colors would have a much more noticeable hand than regular transfer paper on a thinner shirt. Many wouldn't like the feel.

Rodney said:
If you have a babydoll that is fitted (not necessarily super snug, just styled for women) that doesn't show the belly, then that's a pretty good overall shirt to pick if you were just choosing one style.
I agree with this. I've seen Anvil 100% cotton jersey tees with a ladies' cut going for about $2.50 Most of the women's and specialty shirts I've seen that are good quality come in around $4 - $5 per from what I get. This seems worlds different than the prices I've seen for men's shirts... Also FYI, the term "baby doll" usually refers to a type of shirt that shows the midriff. I've stayed away from these.

Rodney said:
Maybe rabid can shed more light on this subject, since his site seems to be geared towards the ladies :)
That's all I can think of for now.

Brian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you for this. I know it was a general question but you've provided a lot of good details.

Thanks very much!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts