T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went to print a film for a small job and my Epson R1800 refused to print because the Photo Black and Gloss Optimizer cartridges were out. This was surprising to me because I had purchased FastInk which went into the Matte Black slot, I thought that by printing black only with gloss turned off (in the epson printer settings, printing from Photoshop) I was using only the FastInk cartridge but I see I misunderstood.

Searches of these forums indicates that for true control over the printer I need RIP software. I have avoided buying AccuRip because I understood it was for producing half-tones and I've not needed more than what I can do myself in Photoshop.

In order to use up all this FastInk I bought for my R1800 do I need some kind of RIP software?

·
Registered
456 Posts
With the Epson 1800 printer, all cartridges must be filled, even though you are only using the one black ink.

Every time you turn on the printer it does a head cleaning,
and that uses ink from every cartridge so eventually each cartridge will become empty.

I fill each cartridge with a cleaning solution from The Printer Filling Station. it's less expensive than filling with ink. I also got a chip re-setter from them too.

You can also get an ink from company above that is much less than FastInk and works just as well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, Eric. I like your suggestion, it sounds a lot cheaper than AccuRIP too. I see the Epson Desktop Chip Resetter you talked about, is this the cleaning solution you are using? I have never "refilled" an inkjet cartridge before, don't I need some kind of refillable ink cartridges to load the cleanser into? Or am I really expected to drill holes into the Epson factory cartridges?

I guess I would still be concerned, though, because the cartridge that went dry on my printer was the Photo Black which makes me think I was printing my films using Photo Black and not the FastINK loaded into the Matte Black slot.

I'm using a Mac and I print from Photoshop, I have been printing with the printer as shown below. It seems to leave margin for error since I don't know which Black ink it is going to use.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Refilling a cartridge is very easy. I have been using the same cartridges for about 2 years now. You just refill the ones you have, no need to purchase anything special, just use the ones that came with the printer.

I would call Printer Filling Station with specific questions, they are good people.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And if I did get AccuRIP I could then control the R1800 to print ONLY using the Matte Black FASKInk?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I know that using FastRip, only the black prints, I assume AccuRip is the same.

IF you don't want to get a Rip software, why couldn't you just fill all the cartridges with black ink?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that using FastRip, only the black prints, I assume AccuRip is the same.
I think AccuRip is in my future. :)

IF you don't want to get a Rip software, why couldn't you just fill all the cartridges with black ink?
Because I don't have such a setup, to refill cartridges, just a bunch of FastInk slot 4 cartridges.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts