T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Premium Member
63 Posts
What color Tshirt are you printing onto? If its going on a white T you don't need to do anything at all.

If you are printing on a black T you will probably want to change the color of the background using a graphics program like photoshop. Once the background is a different color (I recommend using the color of the Tshirt) you can double click on the image, select the eye dropper from the toolbar, select the background, and then click on the eye on the toolbar. This will make the selected color (the background) invisible and not print.

You are welcome to call me if you like, I can help walk you through it.

· Registered
2,107 Posts
We use Fastartist for designing most of our artwork to print off of a T-jet 2. Does anyone know how to eliminate the white background off of some graphics that are sent to us. :rolleyes:
For a dark shirt, I wouldn't recommend using the color of the shirt for the background color. It will more than likely not match the shirt color. Normally it'll show up lighter than the shirt. To get rid of the white background, you'll have to change the format to PNG & make the background transparent in photoshop or GIMP.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
For a dark shirt, I wouldn't recommend using the color of the shirt for the background color. It will more than likely not match the shirt color. Normally it'll show up lighter than the shirt. To get rid of the white background, you'll have to change the format to PNG & make the background transparent in photoshop or GIMP.
I usually recommend that because often people want the color of the shirt to be part of the image (such that you are not printing black ink on a black shirt). You could just as well change it to some arbitrary color not used in the image at all and then eliminate that color.

The complexity of removing the white background depends upon the artwork and the color of the shirt... I run into this frequently, people need to design an image with a transparent background for the most versatility.

· Premium Member
63 Posts
Thanks for the comments. We do not have photoshop so I guess we will have to figure out another program. I appreciate it! Thanks. Kathy

Many people (myself included) will argue that Gimp is just as good, and maybe even better (since its free) than Photoshop.

GIMP - Downloads

· Registered
539 Posts
Hello,

To remove the White background from a bitmap image, double click on the image to go to bitmap edit mode and then select the white (or any color) you want to remove with the eye drop tool and click "Add color" this makes it the current color then just click on the eye and it will make that color invisible.

If you wanted to upgrade to version 2, you would get Fluid Mask which makes removing backgrounds from complex images easy and it also installs GIMP automatically and you can edit images and move them back and forth between FastARTIST and GIMP with out having to save and load.

You can see Fluid mask in action on you tube
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtP2xNSTNd0[/media]
and
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQO-xIx3xYw&feature=related[/media]

Best regards

-David

· Registered
539 Posts
If the image has transparency use PNG, TIF or PSD (I normally use PSD with maximise compatibilty on when saving).

Otherwise without transparency JPeg should work fine, you can send me the file and I will test it (but only on the latest version).

There is no transparency in EPS and transparency in Jpeg is only available in what are called private tags so there is no general Alpha layer support, if you use EPS to import into FastARTIST select the PDF root as this is the most reliable.

Best regards

-David

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.