T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I don't know if this is the right forum, but I eventually want to print my own shirts and need advice. I'm working on starting a brand of t-shirts, and I started off with creating a black design on light blue long sleeve shirt. Since this is my first design, I had a local company screen print 50 shirts for $700. They looked amazing when I received them with a sharp black print. I washed the one I'm keeping for myself inside out with cold water and with like colors, and when it came out, the black ink fades noticeably. I contacted the company and they said it's normal for them to fade on the first wash. It's very noticeably faded and I'm quite upset about the fact I spent $700 for 50 of these shirts that will all likely fade.

Is there something that was done wrong?

Is there a way to reduce this fading through the printing process?

Would going through another company possibly give me a better print that doesn't fade?

Do different black inks not fade as much?

I don't even want to sell these shirts as I feel people might leave bad reviews.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
To me it looks sort of like sublimation done on a cotton/polyester blend shirt. All the ink would wash out of the cotton fibers, leaving ink only in the polyester. So a 65% poly shirt would look about 35% faded.

I do both sublimation and screen printing. As splathead said, screen printing should not fade. If that is screen printed, it wasn't cured correctly.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I started off with creating a black design on light blue long sleeve shirt
I washed the one I'm keeping for myself inside out with cold water and with like colors, and when it came out, the black ink fades noticeably.
Depending on the ink used, some light color shirts may do this.
A similar thing can happen with dark discharge inks (ie blue discharge ink on a red shirt).
The problem is fibrillation caused by the fluff some shirts have.
There is no ink loss, but the light colored fluff makes the color underneath look lighter.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Depending on the ink used, some light color shirts may do this.
A similar thing can happen with dark discharge inks (ie blue discharge ink on a red shirt).
The problem is fibrillation caused by the fluff some shirts have.
There is no ink loss, but the light colored fluff makes the color underneath look lighter.
interesting
can you post a zoomed in pic of the design on the tee op?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello! I don't know if this is the right forum, but I eventually want to print my own shirts and need advice. I'm working on starting a brand of t-shirts, and I started off with creating a black design on light blue long sleeve shirt. Since this is my first design, I had a local company screen print 50 shirts for $700. They looked amazing when I received them with a sharp black print. I washed the one I'm keeping for myself inside out with cold water and with like colors, and when it came out, the black ink fades noticeably. I contacted the company and they said it's normal for them to fade on the first wash. It's very noticeably faded and I'm quite upset about the fact I spent $700 for 50 of these shirts that will all likely fade.

Is there something that was done wrong?

Is there a way to reduce this fading through the printing process?

Would going through another company possibly give me a better print that doesn't fade?

Do different black inks not fade as much?

I don't even want to sell these shirts as I feel people might leave bad reviews.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
I would be upset about paying $700 for 50 shirts anyway. That's $14 each for a one color shirt. You got ripped. And no, screen printed shirts don't fade that fast unless the ink had a special effects additive. My bet is they weren't cured or they were DTG. If this company won't make it right I would be calling the BBB, local chamber of commerce and my lawyer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.