T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are looking to get into dye sub and only really need to be able to print on 17" rolls. The F570 seems the obvious answer, but I know I can get some really good deals on new, open-box, or used T-series models. T3475, T5270, and T7270 are all possible. I would probably use inkowl's refillable 700mL cartridges as that seems the closest to the EcoTank simplicity.
Pros of T-series seem to be a speed gain (25sec vs 34sec A1) and larger diameter roll capacity. I don't know if being able to gang prints side-by-side is a gain or not past the 25-vs-34 sec print speed....for example, would it print a 12x36" print slower than a 36x12" print?
Cons of T-series is replacing the chips with each refill (seems minor) and the need for ICC correction.
I am assuming the need for RIP software is equivalent between the two options and that the labor of refilling the tanks and refilling the 700mL cartridges is nearly equivalent. With the option of auto resetting chips (just learned of this), I am calling the ink replacement cost nearly equivalent too. I new to all of this and giving myself a crash-course. How would you weigh these differences? Any recommendations?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Have you considered the ET15000? I don't know if they're slower, but you could buy 4 or 5 of them for the price of the 7270 and you wouldn't have to mess with those problematic chips.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
If price is the same or similar, go for the 36 of the 44 inch ones.
Refilling is not a big deal...

·
Registered
138 Posts
We are looking to get into dye sub and only really need to be able to print on 17" rolls. The F570 seems the obvious answer, but I know I can get some really good deals on new, open-box, or used T-series models. T3475, T5270, and T7270 are all possible. I would probably use inkowl's refillable 700mL cartridges as that seems the closest to the EcoTank simplicity.
Pros of T-series seem to be a speed gain (25sec vs 34sec A1) and larger diameter roll capacity. I don't know if being able to gang prints side-by-side is a gain or not past the 25-vs-34 sec print speed....for example, would it print a 12x36" print slower than a 36x12" print?
Cons of T-series is replacing the chips with each refill (seems minor) and the need for ICC correction.
I am assuming the need for RIP software is equivalent between the two options and that the labor of refilling the tanks and refilling the 700mL cartridges is nearly equivalent. With the option of auto resetting chips (just learned of this), I am calling the ink replacement cost nearly equivalent too. I new to all of this and giving myself a crash-course. How would you weigh these differences? Any recommendations?
The Epson F570 is designed for sublimation printing and will be support by Epson and your vendor as such. A converted printer has no support. Coastal has it on sale for $2,295.00 vs $1,795.00 at B&H for the T3475. The Epson F570 comes with 3 rolls of paper and 2 sets of ink which is about a $260 value.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
The Epson F570 is designed for sublimation printing and will be support by Epson and your vendor as such. A converted printer has no support. Coastal has it on sale for $2,295.00 vs $1,795.00 at B&H for the T3475. The Epson F570 comes with 3 rolls of paper and 2 sets of ink which is about a $260 value.
So that means a "real" price difference of $240? With full warranty and support? Sounds like a no-brainer for me.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
Coastal has it on sale for $2,295.00 vs $1,795.00 at B&H for the T3475. The Epson F570 comes with 3 rolls of paper and 2 sets of ink which is about a $260 value.
Compared to the T3475, the F570 is a reasonable option, but for those able to use the additional width, the T5270 and T7270 are better.

The Epson F570 is designed for sublimation printing and will be support by Epson and your vendor as such. A converted printer has no support.
Makes no difference if you know what you are doing, AND you can still get support and parts from Epson.
The technicians are subcontractors and don't care what ink you are using.
You will never get a printhead replacement under warranty even if you are using Epson inks, so in reality there is zero difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@TABOB if the items could fit on a 17" roll just as easily as twice as many items on a 36" roll, is there an advantage to a wider printer?

@JazzBlueRT to be fair, the T3475 is also 36% faster and fits larger diameter rolls... but I agree that buying a new T-series makes the F570 an easier choice.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
if the items could fit on a 17" roll just as easily as twice as many items on a 36" roll, is there an advantage to a wider printer?
It depends on what you are printing and the rest of your equipment.
If you have 36" roll to roll press for example, the 36" will be a bit faster, but also pressing time will be twice as fast.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts