T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using F&M Expressions Freedom Cotton transfers for a few months and really like them, but have a question (hopefully not a dumb one ;) )

I recently discovered a new line of blanks that I would love to offer to my customers, however they are a 60/40 cotton poly blend instead of 100% cotton. I know that Freedom Cotton transfers are supposed to be used only on 100% cotton, but would anything catastrophic happen if I tried them on the cotton/poly blends? I know F&M offers the Freedom Athletic but I print on baby onesies, so I need the softer feel of the Freedom Cotton (not to mention, I already have a large supply of these on hand and would hate to have these go to waste if I decided to make the switch to the new shirt brand).

I was planning on ordering a small batch of these new onesies to run some tests, but I thought I'd check first to see if anyone has tried this, and if there were any major concerns about using these on fabrics other than 100% cotton. I have successfully used the Freedom Cotton transfers on 90/10 cotton/poly blends, but recognize there is a (potentially) big difference between 90/10 and 60/40.

Can anyone offer any insight? Perhaps a lower heat setting with a longer press? Or would it just be a disaster, and I should stick to the 100% cotton?

· Registered
6,970 Posts
F&M has been making transfers for decades and sell 10s of thousands of orders a year....IMO they probably do extensive testing of their products and if a certain product worked on a certain fabric, they would "shout if from the rooftops".....The lack of such "shouting" is an indication to me, that your idea probably does not work....

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks everyone for the input! One of the reasons I asked is that there seems to be some conflicting information on this. The website does state 100% cotton, but the printed catalog/brochure that I have from F&M (came with their sample pack) states "Cotton or Cotton Poly Blend" for the freedom cotton transfers.

I went ahead and sent them an email asking about this, and the response I received was along the lines of, "we don't technically recommend it, but we know many people are doing it successfully."

I guess it can't hurt to try! Worst case is I will waste a shirt and a transfer, I suppose :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.