T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been through this message board like crazy the last few days, I am willing to pay for the answers to my questions if someone would please help me here it would be appreciated.

First my biggest question is regarding ordering heat transfers.

1. Do people have their own transfer printing machine who own a heat press?

I am finding that if you want to do custom printed transfers ie. Suzie gives me her logo design and wants 12 transfers printed in 3 colors this is coming out to be very expensive from Transfer Express. Unless I'm missing something here and not doing the calculations right.

Here is the pricing sheet from their website:
[media]http://www.transferexpress.com/content/exported/pdf/pricegrids/pricegrids_Specialty_InksEPP_2014.pdf[/media]

According to this price sheet if Suzie wanted to get 12 shirts with 3 colors its roughly 24$ per transfer sheet, what am I missing here, I'd imagine its hard for any shirt seller to make money with this type of pricing.

Please help me out to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Like I said, I'm willing to pay for your time, but I've looked through the archives and am not finding answers to what I seeking.

· Registered
10,343 Posts

· Registered
825 Posts
I have been through this message board like crazy the last few days, I am willing to pay for the answers to my questions if someone would please help me here it would be appreciated.

First my biggest question is regarding ordering heat transfers.

1. Do people have their own transfer printing machine who own a heat press?

I am finding that if you want to do custom printed transfers ie. Suzie gives me her logo design and wants 12 transfers printed in 3 colors this is coming out to be very expensive from Transfer Express. Unless I'm missing something here and not doing the calculations right.

Here is the pricing sheet from their website:
[media]http://www.transferexpress.com/content/exported/pdf/pricegrids/pricegrids_Specialty_InksEPP_2014.pdf[/media]

According to this price sheet if Suzie wanted to get 12 shirts with 3 colors its roughly 24$ per transfer sheet, what am I missing here, I'd imagine its hard for any shirt seller to make money with this type of pricing.

Please help me out to understand what I'm doing wrong.

Like I said, I'm willing to pay for your time, but I've looked through the archives and am not finding answers to what I seeking.

You are not doing anything wrong, its the industry! In a nutshell 12 shirts is not a large enough quantity for cost effective screen printing. 3 color screen printed transfers will cost around 10-24/per transfer. Digital transfers are anywhere from 7-20 depending on who does it and how big the art is. Face it, it is very hard to be competitive unless you are able to do this in house. A laser printer, a vinyl cutter, and some cases an inkjet printer can get work for you. But it really depends on the design complexity and what fabric (color and type) they are going on. Do you do anything in house? Also, if we can see the logo, we might be able to offer more than AMBIGUOUS answers. Good luck.
CalhTech>

· Registered
10,809 Posts
Small quantities of multi color designs are not cost effective. You might want to print these on transfer paper using an appropriate inkjet or laser printer. What color are the shirts that you will be printing?

· Registered
825 Posts
And what about something like this, one of our more complex designs with more colors... I'm just having a hard time figuring out why people would do the heat press and not a digital printer.
This design would be difficult for vinyl but could easily be done with laser heat transfers on white or lite shirts. This could be a little more difficult on dark apparel.

CalhTech>

· Registered
825 Posts
What if they want black which they def do what's the solution then?
I just looked back at your original post and realized your were quoting Transfer Express Custom Screen Printed transfers. The digital option is much better more cost effective solution. Probably around 2-8 dollars per transfer depending on the size of the art work with unlimited colors. Around .20 per/square inch. 25.00 minimum. See if they will send you samples to make sure the had is satisfactory for you and your customer.
CalhTech>

· Registered
2,007 Posts
As was already said the low quantity, multi-color jobs are expensive. Take both the "little one" and the "zoo" designs to a local screen printer and see what they would charge. You will find that by the time you pay screen charges, flash (on darks) and printing it will still be expensive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.