T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I go again, I have a picture of a motorcycle that I took at night, I want to elimainate the background, and all I want is the bike. I have the photoshop cs manual and tried but for some reason I cannot get it to work. I get confused with the layering. Can someone help?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hmmm... there are so many different ways you can do this! Depending on your skill level it can be time consuming. It sounds like the reason why you can't edit your existing layer is because by default the layer is labeled background layer & it is locked(you should even see a little picture of a lock on the layer). Double click on the layer, you'll get the layer options menu. you can name the layer or just click ok. This will unlock the layer & allow you to edit it. I would advise you to make a duplicate layer copy of your image before you even begin to edit, just in case you mess up.

As for the editing, as I said before, there are different ways to do this. You can always use the eraser & just interchange brush sizes & edge softness/hardness for detailed areas.

Look on the net for some tutorial sites, there's plenty of them!

Good Luck

Narc72

·
Registered
93 Posts
The best/most accurate way in my opinion is to use the pen tool to draw a path around the motorbike. Then convert the path to a selection and cut and paste the motorbike selection into a new layer. You can then delete the background.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't waste time in photoshop. I've discovered that using Corels clipping mask works the best. You get much finer edges and it's easier to manipulate. I don't know if Illustrater is the same but you might try that too.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Don't waste time in photoshop. I've discovered that using Corels clipping mask works the best. You get much finer edges and it's easier to manipulate. I don't know if Illustrater is the same but you might try that too.
It depends what you want to do with the image. If you actually want to alter the image, you cannot do that in a vector program like corel or illustrator. Illustrator does have the clipping mask function as well though.

I usually use the eraser tool in photoshop. I zoom in one the image, and very carefully trase around the object. Once you have erased around the image, make sure that the image is on its own layer...not the background. Then you can add layers, and chenge the background however you want.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts