T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if I could use a heavy-duty extension cord with my heat press because the wire attached to it is not long enough to reach the wall socket where I have it at.

Now, I remember when I first got my flash dryer and used an extension cord (also heavy duty) it did not heat up fully...but the cord was 12 feet long.

Would I be able to use maybe a 3ft-6ft heavy-duty extension cord with my heat press without taking away any...heat I guess is the word...I want to make sure the heat press is running correctly...I don't want it heating up only halfway or not as hot as it should be....

· Registered
736 Posts
Check your wattage on your heat press and then check the wattage (or amp/voltage) limits on your extension cord, and stay under that. I think it should work okay with 14 gauge though, at the lengths you're talking about 16 gauge is probably okay. I get the feeling that companies put "do not use with an extension cord" on things just to deflect liability just in case you trip over it and somehow manage to heat press your face.

Speaking of which I'm not a licensed electrician and am in no way responsible if your heat press goes into nuclear meltdown.

· Registered
1,079 Posts
I have 3 presses in my shop and one of them is hooked up to an extension cord because it could not reach the outlet. I have been running it like this for about 4 years now with no issues. The cord is rated for high power loads but I forget what the wattage it is. If I had to guess i'm thinking 14 gauge.

· Registered
105 Posts
I'd either fabricate my own or an easier route is to find an "appliance" cord. They're made for freezers, etc.

While the current draw is the same, it's during the heat up process that get's the most workout; like 5 minutes of constant draw. After that it's only cycling on/off for a short time.

· Registered
816 Posts
I had been looking at getting an extension cord. As mine has those circuit switches that won't let the press turn on. There is one dedicated outlet that was used for a treadmill. But that plug is way too far away.

Was thinking of running and extension cord for 8-25 feet.

I looked into those circuit breaker style extension cords. But was looking at sticking with 12 gauge or maybe even 10 gauge extension cord. I'm thinking the 10 gauge cord would be the best with regards to the cord heating up.

· Registered
219 Posts
I use 12 gauge extension cords for my heat press and flash dryers with no problem. If you like a real cool fireworks show though, hook up a smaller gauge to a flash dryer and run. (No do not try this at home, it was accomplished previously by untrained professionals, and while no animals were harmed in the execution I cannot say the same for the extension cord and wiring the cord was plugged into.)

· Registered
816 Posts
I use 12 gauge extension cords for my heat press and flash dryers with no problem. If you like a real cool fireworks show though, hook up a smaller gauge to a flash dryer and run. (No do not try this at home, it was accomplished previously by untrained professionals, and while no animals were harmed in the execution I cannot say the same for the extension cord and wiring the cord was plugged into.)
Do you think you can use 12 gauge at 40 feet safely? I do plan on having it plugged into a circuit breaker at the wall. So should help just in case the wiring was to get too hot. I think those type of circuit breakers at the wall are 15 amp.

The cords I've been looking at are rating above the heat press. As the heat press is 12Amp, and the cord is 15 amps. Plus the heat press watts is 1500, and the cords watts is like 1800 or so.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.