T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, is it best to have the light source at the top or bottom of an exposure unit. What difference does it make to the screen?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Hi guys, is it best to have the light source at the top or bottom of an exposure unit. What difference does it make to the screen?
You can run the light source either way, depending on what type of light source you have. (Homemade, store bought, etc.) Just remember that if you use a top light source that you have to reverse the image I believe to burn the image correctly on the screen. Where as a below source you do not.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have never used an above source unit as I purchased a unit from Ryonet and its a below source unit and it works excellent! I have no complaints at all. Now this is just my opinion, and I would wait for someone to chime in that has an above light source.

·
Registered
160 Posts
The side the light is on (top or bottom) shouldn't make a difference assuming that you have the film on the emulsion side of the screen.

Most professional units will have the light below the screen so you have a setup like this (top to bottom)

vacuum blanket
screen
emulsion
film
glass
light

Having the light above makes it much more complicated to have a vacuum hold down. If you're really looking for the best possible exposures look for a unit with a high wattage output single point light source and vacuum hold down.

·
Registered
9,534 Posts
I agree that the light source direction (horizontal botton, horizontal top, or even vertical with a separate top) should make no difference in exposure quality. Those with the light source on top or vertical should have a better vacuum top. I am not sure if units with the light source on top comes with any kind of vacuum hold down though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts