T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do water based textile ink expire? I'm referring to TULCO WETLOOK, SUPERWHITE RC and GOLD.

I've been printing t-shirts from the same bottles which I bought a year ago from the same retailer. Nothing's wrong with the previous shirts I printed. The latest shirts I've printed has washed off the inks when washed with plain laundry soap and water. I tried printing the inks on old t-shirts and got the same result when washed.

I then printed the t-shirts with TULCO CLASSIC (black), dried it then washed them with soap and water. The ink stayed fast and did not washed off. I did not use any fixer.

I've been buying my printing stuff with this retailer so I've no complaints. I showed the inks to the retailer and he said the inks looks good.

Now I'm wondering if all three bottles expired at the same time, if textile inks expire at all?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Boowwet,

Did these three inks overlap each other in the design? If it does, then poor washing fastness is expected because these three inks are not compatible for overlapping. You can only overlap two or three inks if they are of the same series (i.e. Wetlook RC can only be mixed and overlap on Superwhite RC). That's the rule in mixing and overlapping of different inks. One more thing if you do overlap or mix inks, the print must be cured by heat press machine or flat iron; actually all water-based inks are to be cured for better washing-fastness.

Regarding the question whether the inks has expiration or none, the inks do expire..but the span of time is undefinable. Some inks that are properly stored in a room that has a cool temperature and not exposed to the sun can stay for 2 years..some don't. It varies. We can know that the ink expired already when it dried up inside the bottle.

Hope it helps..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying to my question. I have solve the problem by curing the inks with flat iron.

Seems that the problem occurred when I mixed black dye with the wetlook and superwhite. I've been using the superwhites/wetlook AS IS (without any tints) without curing them. I just dry them with hair drier and they came out alright.

Now I wonder what is in the dye that changes the curing fastness of the inks?

·
Registered
22 Posts
It also has something to do with the composition of the fabric you use, most of the CVC fabrics we have here in the country right now has higher polyester composition than cotton. Water-based inks are best used for cotton fabrics and is weak in polyester fabrics, that's why nowadays you really have to cure your prints to ensure the washing fastness of it. You can also add FIXER UR to reinforce the adhesion of the ink to the fabric.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i am a newbie, i love t-shirt printing, just asking. where i can buy a low cost water base textile ink?
iv seen a printing shop here in my town using a tampered container (1kg wet look and super white) textile ink for printing t-shirt. any one knows it, and where to buy it..

thanks God bless

1 - 6 of 6 Posts