T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
nolawi said:
do i need a phone number cause as of now we dont have one...
I would. What I'm doing is I have an Asterisk PABX system set up at home, and I've purchased an additional DID number for it (only $2AUD /month). 99% of the time, that will probably go to voicemail and I'll call the customer back, but it is still better than nothing and one day soon hopefully it will be "manned" more full time.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Solmu said:
Interesting. A PABX isn't the kind of thing normally just lieing around at home (although I guess you may well be able to get one from a police auction, office clearance, etc.), would that be expensive to source? Or is the whole setup surprisingly affordable?
Solmu - [email protected] (the VoIP PABX, now called TrixBox) I use, is itself free and only cost me an old PC I had lying around. The only other hardware cost was to tie in my PSTN line (an at the time $200 piece of equipment) and a weekend's worth of time.

Believe it or not, I had this whole system set up just for home use - I had previously been using VoIP just with an ATA and then heard about Asterisk and decided it would be a neat project. Which is good now because as I said, I can tie in an extra DID for just $2/month and then route that where I like - one of the cool things about it is that, for example my home number:
- Between 7:30am and 8:30pm, rings all the phones in my house and goes to voicemail if there is no answer
- Between 8:30pm and 7:30am, tells the user "It's rest time at our household" and offers the option to press 1 if it's urgent enough to wake us (then rings the phones) otherwise goes to voicemail and they can leave a message.

So the sequence I'm planning for my new DID is:
- Between 9am - 5pm local time, if I've marked myself "available" for business calls (e.g the twins are not screaming!), ring the phones, otherwise go to a message stating the phones aren't manned right now and to please leave a message, etc.
- Between 5pm - 9am and on weekends, go to a message saying it is outside business hours, etc. and please leave a message.

The provider I use (OzTell) offer a service called WebPABX, which I think is $6.95/month (including a couple of DIDs and some other bits), and I'm told that that is able to do all of the above, without setting up your own Asterisk box (and probably more reliable, as in my set up , if I lose my 'net connection, power goes out, etc. the phone is dead).

Man, I have taken the thread off track. Sorry :eek: If you want to discuss further maybe I should make a new thread?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.