T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, this is my 1st post. There are a lot of folks here!

You sound like you know what you are talking about and I am in the market for a cutter/plotter for a side business/hobby and have questions.

Ive read about the USCutter machines, GCC, Roland, Summa, Seiki... ect...

Have you ever used one of these?

PERFECT PROFESSIONAL VINYL CUTTER/CUTTING PLOTTER 1361 - eBay (item 280499646112 end time May-28-10 15:22:16 PDT)

800g downforce?

Im on a budget and know I want the Roland GX24 (or Gerber EDGE), I cant swing it though.
Im leaning towards a GCC Expert 24 or the USCutter Laserpoint 24 (primarily for contour cutting).
I saw the above link however and might eventually want that kind of downforce..

What are your opinions?

Ever try a Perfect Professional?
Is USCutter LP24 or GCC EX24 better?

What do I want to look for?
I know I want a servo motor (the ones I can afford are all steppers), but what else should I look for?

Thanks in advance!
Aaron

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have not heard of Perfect Professional cutters. I cannot tell by the picture if it is a rebranded machine which it most likely is.

As far as chosing between the GCC Expert 24 and the USCutter Laserpoint 24, I would chose the Expert 24.

Now I haven't used the Perfect Professional, but I wouldn't take the 800 grams downforce at face value. I have heard of people buying a cheap cutter that says it has a high downforce like that and they cannot cut through Rhinestone templates.

Just be aware, and stay away from Ebay sales unless they are from a well known company.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.
What about these units that advertise "high stepping motor, micro-step drive"? (P-Cut and Laserpoint)
Whats the difference between that and a regular stepping motor (MH series and Expert 24)?

Also, will the 250g downforce on the GCC still cut heavier vinyls/masks/rhinestone?

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I am not sure how many different kinds of stepper motors there are. We have the Pcut, Laserpoint, MH721, the Expert 24 as well as many other cutters. Out of these 4, we like the Expert 24 the best for cutters in its class.

As far as the Expert 24 cutting through Rhinestone templates, I cannot say as I have not tried it. I have cut many types of vinyl with success.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, that is helpful..

Is rhinestone about the thickest stuff you would cut on a plotter/cutter?
So if it can cut that, it can pretty much cut anything.

I see myself making lots of stencils and masks with the machine.

Its too bad I have to get a cheaper one, but at least I can get that.

How is the contour cutting feature on the Laserpoint? (I understand its not true contour cutting, no true optical eye.)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thank you, that is helpful..
You're welcome!

Is rhinestone about the thickest stuff you would cut on a plotter/cutter?
That and sandblast material.

How is the contour cutting feature on the Laserpoint? (I understand its not true contour cutting, no true optical eye.)
You print with cropmarks, and then line up the laser on the Laserpoint with on the cropmark. It's a manual process, no true optic eye like you said.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really appreciate the answers.

Is it still valuable to use even though its manual?
Is it much better than trying it without the laser (Ive read its possible)?

What type of downforce would it take to cut sandblast masking?
Would any of the cutters I mentions do it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts