T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, new to the forum here, just wanted to ask a couple of questions!

Have just started up and wanting to run a small 'business' from home designing and printing.

I decided the easiest way, was to set up an Etsy store to get me started and take things from there.

I'm not currently registered as a business, but assuming that I don't have to do this if only selling on there to begin with as similar to using something like eBay?

Please advise me if I'm wrong, as I am new to all of this.

Thanks,

Dave

· Registered
38 Posts
You really should have a tax ID number for sales tax, but in most states you can do that in your name, without a separate entity or license.

Reactions: bigdavecox90

· Registered
4,694 Posts
Yeah, Etsy does not care whether you are setup as a business.

If there is sales tax where you are, then you need to charge sales tax on sales to people in your state, so need to be setup with the whatever your state requires. Also, this allows you to buy blank garments from wholesalers without paying sales tax on them. Most wholesalers require that you have a license / sales tax number / whatever your state calls it, as that separates cheap consumers from legitimate businesses. (In Oregon there is no sales tax so no bull-poop tax license to show anyone, but I formed an LLC so I have that to show instead.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.