T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I am currently experiencing a perplexing problem. I have a Kiosk 2 that when powered up, goes through the warmup phase and then the carriage parks itself on the left side of the machine and the error eject light, and series of lights above it continually flash.
I have researched this forum and found one post similar, yet the solutions for the previous problem don't seem to solve my issue.
Here's what was done prior. The machine was purchased from ebay and records indicate that SWF Mesa had refurbished the machine. The machine began to be used then was shelved for personal reasons. The machine, when we finally returned to the learning phase of DTG printing, needed a replacement printhead. I performed the replacement. Worked fine. Later I cleaned the printhead and the cleaning fluid made its way to the ribbon and there was significant corrosion. I replaced the ribbon and the machine was working again. Later, more fluid made it's way to that ribbon and that was replaced. Worked fine. As I began to print a single shirt, the head printed a rainbow effect of a good deal of ink on each side of the image printed. The image finally lost all color over the course of the printing. The printhead also came in contact with the platen as the frame lifted up slightly.
I am currently at a loss as to what to look for next. My research shows that I may have a fuse/motherboard problem. If so, how can I check the fuse. Or does anyone else have any other ideas.
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I haven't seen error lights flash when the mainboard fuse is bad. Usually it has to do with print head, ribbon cable or something blocking the carriage.

If you click on the Epson 2200 printer you have installed on your computer, go to properties then open the Status Monitor. Sometimes that gives you an indication of what the problem is so you know where to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hello,

Does the print head go across the rails or does it error before that?

It may be that you need to reset the waste ink counter.

Mine just tripped in between shirts one day, and it really puzzled me for a while...

Turns out, doing a secret button pressing sequence brought it back good as new...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for the advice. Here's where I am now. I have removed the ribbon cable and checked the cable for corrosion and continuity. The cable checks out fine. The print head carriage is broken at the end where the metal retainer screws into the printhead. In an attempt to retain the printhead in it's proper position, I used a larger screw on the side where the tab was completely broken off. This worked, but did I set the printhead in a position that will create an error condition. When I plug the ribbon into the printhead and let it sit in there without the retainer, the unit powers up and goes through the initiating sequence just fine. I have a new carriage on order. I am just hoping someone may be able to confirm that this may cure my condition. Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
yeah, it could help here are some other checklist items:

Rainbow effect can be caused by:

Encoder Strip (make sure its installed correctly and free of dust / fingerprints)

Carriage belt (make sure its on snug)

Carriage belt motor (make sure its clean at the wheel uses a qtip to remove dirt)

Also, after you replace the carriage ensure the rails are oiled lightly.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a similiar but slightly different problem.

I have the same Kiosk II. Was in the middle of printing a job, and lost all colors except yellow.

After doing multiple head cleanings I cannot see any colors through onto the pad, like there is no suction at all. It you do the INK FILL the ink comes down, and you can flush the pad, but during the head cleaning not ink comes through the head. Does not need waste in reset.

Any ideas, encoder is clean, nothing is stopping the head. Head is new. Been printing just for for 4 months.

·
Registered
57 Posts
When something similar happened to me, it was a ribbon cable that went bad...
Inspect the contact areas on the ribbon cables going to the carriage (both ends) if any contacts are discolored or look different, replace the cables.
Mine just had one little contact that was not as bright as the rest... and that was the problem.
My machine failed in between shirts...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thank you both for the advice. Here's where I am now. I have removed the ribbon cable and checked the cable for corrosion and continuity. The cable checks out fine. The print head carriage is broken at the end where the metal retainer screws into the printhead. In an attempt to retain the printhead in it's proper position, I used a larger screw on the side where the tab was completely broken off. This worked, but did I set the printhead in a position that will create an error condition. When I plug the ribbon into the printhead and let it sit in there without the retainer, the unit powers up and goes through the initiating sequence just fine. I have a new carriage on order. I am just hoping someone may be able to confirm that this may cure my condition. Thanks again!
I have the same issue and I have changed everything. Was it the carriage?

·
Registered
131 Posts
whats wrong elvis??
While it is warming up the carriage parks on the left side with the ink lights and error eject flashing. I took everyone's suggestion. changed encoder strip, cleaned behind carriage, made sure everything was routed properly, changed ribbon cable, cleaned gear and gear cable with tooth brush, oiled rails after cleaning, even adjusted rails to make sure there was no intereference. I cleaned the encoder wheel. So there is little else but change the carriage. The screws are stripped so that may be it.

·
Registered
131 Posts
What screws? The plug in the back of the carriage is completely plugged in? Did you shine a flash light across it?
Yep it is completely in. I was speaking of the screwing when you replace the printer head. There are two screws that hold the bar which holds the head. The leaf spring on the side of the carriage hold the bar in place

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
its gotta be your ribbon cable.. we had the same problem last week. Its either damaged or not in all the way.
I know this is frustrating to hear.. take off the first bar >tilt the printhead further make sure the ribbon cable is not bent and securing in. Look for metal tears or anything of the sort. Also follow the ribbon cable down to the other plug in and double check those.

Trust me .. sometimes you thinks its in and its not.. very vital piece

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Carla is right, I just changed the print head in my T-Jet last week and when putting the cables in their slots on the print head it seem'd at first that they had gone all the way in but I gave a little extra effort pushing the cables in and it moved maybe another 1/16 of a inch in.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
its gotta be your ribbon cable.. we had the same problem last week. Its either damaged or not in all the way.
I know this is frustrating to hear.. take off the first bar >tilt the printhead further make sure the ribbon cable is not bent and securing in. Look for metal tears or anything of the sort. Also follow the ribbon cable down to the other plug in and double check those.

Trust me .. sometimes you thinks its in and its not.. very vital piece
You mean the round bar that the carraige rides on right? Hey guys I am learning here and thanks. I can deal with frustration as long as I am learning. I will get after it. Thanks and I will let you know. Round bar right?

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
You mean the round bar that the carraige rides on right? Hey guys I am learning here and thanks. I can deal with frustration as long as I am learning. I will get after it. Thanks and I will let you know. Round bar right?
Nope the flat bar that holds the print head in the carriage, she wants you to look at the connection of the ribbon cables and the print head again, you have to lift it up out of the carriage to do that.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nope the flat bar that holds the print head in the carriage, she wants you to look at the connection of the ribbon cables and the print head again, you have to lift it up out of the carriage to do that.

Hope this helps.
Will do this evening when I get home. Thanks

1 - 20 of 55 Posts