T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, what do ya think?!

Hello! I am new to the business, I think I am going to a training class in Allentown PA at Vastex, anyone heard of them, or been to the class, just wondering if it's worthwhile. I'm from pittsburgh, and that seems to be the nearest location to get training at.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Hi!

How does this look for a start up list... and what about my prospect list..
Printing PressExposure UnitFlash DryerConveyer DryersScreensDegreasing ChemicalEmulsionScoop CoaterDrying CabinetWash BoothPressure WasherVacuum HeadTapePlaten Protection TapeSqueegeesGoop scoopsPlastic Transfer CardsScreen Block outOn Press WashPlaten AdhesiveSpot Cleaning GunSpot Cleaning FluidScreen Scrub BrushPlastisol InksPlastisol Ink degraderEmulsion reclaimerHaze and stain removerSqueeze spray bottlesHeat temperature readerInk curing testing chemical kitExposure calculatorPrinting test squaresComputer and ScannerSoftwareFastrip softwarePrinterArt ToolsVellum Paper
T shirts!

PROSPECTS

-Athletic Associations
-Schools
-Restaurants
-Church organizations
-Boy Scouts
-Bands
-Landscapers
-Businesses whom wear uniforms
-Trade shows (design a print specific to the show and have order forms)
-Online “specific designs”
-Vet (breed specific)

·
Registered
274 Posts

Kristee said:
How does this look for a start up list... and what about my prospect list..
Printing PressExposure UnitFlash DryerConveyer DryersScreensDegreasing ChemicalEmulsionScoop CoaterDrying CabinetWash BoothPressure WasherVacuum HeadTapePlaten Protection TapeSqueegeesGoop scoopsPlastic Transfer CardsScreen Block outOn Press WashPlaten AdhesiveSpot Cleaning GunSpot Cleaning FluidScreen Scrub BrushPlastisol InksPlastisol Ink degraderEmulsion reclaimerHaze and stain removerSqueeze spray bottlesHeat temperature readerInk curing testing chemical kitExposure calculatorPrinting test squaresComputer and ScannerSoftwareFastrip softwarePrinterArt ToolsVellum Paper
T shirts!
shoooooooot, you don't need all of that if you're just getting started! the great thing about screen printing is there are lots of alternatives you can use (or eliminate).

here's some things you can use in replacement of costly supplies while you figure out if you like printing or not.

-baking soda is a good degreaser, i've also used fast orange as a degreaser/abrasor

-washout booth? nah, just use a utility tub in the basement/garage

-masking tape works really well for taping screens and doesn't leave behind annoying goo-balls like "real" printing tape.

-go to wal-mart's $1 fabric bin and buy yards of fabric to cut into squares and use as test swatches. we use ours over and over unless we need to see fine detail, then we use a new one.

-block out is handy for only very small pin holes. otherwise you can get away with using masking tape.

-you can make your own drying cabinet. my brother is in construction and built ours out of a cabinet his crew was throwing away. we added metal shelves and he installed a fan. it's awesome, does the job well, and cost $5.

-don't have a powerwasher to wash the emulsion off the screens? take it to the local self serve car wash. they're usually heated, too!

-spend a little extra on buying Shop Towels (you know, the thick blues ones). they're sturdy and absorb plastisol and plastisol remover really well. and you also create less waste.

-we found our bin for soaking our screens in stencil remover at home depot. it came with a lid and probably cost us $15.

I think a lot of the supplies they offer to screen printers are overly expensive and can be avoided once you learn the art, and know what you're looking for. it's all about being resourceful. who cares what you use as long as your end product looks professional and holds up well?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, I figured that I could do away with some of the chemicals or smaller supplies, I just didn't know what alternatives that there were. As far as the drying cabinet and wash booth that will save me a decent amount, so thanks again! I work right now for a company that sells pressure washers, so I lucked out that way, I'm actually opening my shop inside of my current jobs shop, there is an extra room, and my boss is helping me with my start up costs, and the whole business planning process, So again I appreciate everyones help and input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts