T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
I bought the Epson WF 7110 and Cobra Ink CIS system. They were ideal as I started production, but then the Epson refused to recognize the Cobra CIS.
I ended up getting replacement parts from Cobra, but this didn't help.
I even bought a new Epson WF 7110, it only worked for a day before refusing to recognize the Cobra CIS.
I love the Epson for it's 13x19 print size and for its price.
I love the idea and price of the Cobra CIS and there inks, but have been shut down and not able to print because the printer quickly tells me it does not recognize the CIS.

• Any advice on solving this problem (I have tried a lot of solutions)?
  • Any suggestions for a CIS that does work reliably with the Epson WF 7110?
  • Any suggestion for an alternative and affordable sublimation system that prints the 13x19 prints?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you purchase your printer directly from Cobra? I read a little snippet that some of the printer versions intended for other countries may not recognize the CIS. I am considering this package from them but I'm concerned about it working correctly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
After 3 weeks of struggling with that contraption from Cobra I gave it a heave hoe to my dumpster and went back to making $$$ instead of trying to fix that mickey mouse piece of junk.

I make money with what some people call expensive ink. I don't care how cheap the ink is, if you can't print, you aren't making any money. I don't make money with junk that doesn't work and takes hours a day going through all these steps to be right back where i started.....an altered machine that won't "see" what it is supposed to due to a flaw in their "work around" That's just the hardware, the software (colormanagment) set u is another case of poorly worded, unfocused, wishful thinking.

Good for all you folks with so much time on your hands you can figure it all out. You must be rich since your company doesn't need you to run it while you geek out over technical jargon us mere mortals fail to grasp while we multi-task a business that can't go on hold while we play

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have had nothing but issues with my Cobra CIS and WF-7110. Even though the guys are quick to help via text, the issues get overwhelming.

Even today, my cyan ink stopped printing, again....I had to stop and blow out the print head, again...now I am down to the wire on several jobs. 2nd replacement printer, 2nd replacement CIS. And like you, it stops recognizing the cartridges mid print but usually if I re-seat them, it starts working again. Wasted paper, wasted time.

I share in your frustration. What set up did you end up going with?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I have both the Epson Artisan 1430 and WF7110...have only had one issue in over 2 years with cyan on the 7110 and, yeah, I had to do a manual purge and clean but it got working again and no more problems. On the 1430 an issue with the cartridge not being recognized...I changed out the chip and works fine. It's my opinion if you run the printers at least every couple days to make sure the heads do not clog you should be in decent shape. Of course there is always the bad machine as well. This was just my issues. I have made more than enough money to have a closet full of back up printers if they ever go bad :eek:)
I bought my printers off amazon and the inks from Cobra. I use their refillable carts...NOT CIS

·
Registered
454 Posts
How often do you have to refill the carts?
Pigment - about once every week or two.
Dye sub - about once a month, lately, though it looks like our volume is starting to increase. I have mainly used dye sub for mugs. I will probably buy a dedicated printer for dye sub soon, since I now print this at least once a week.

This depends on volume, of course.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
How often do you have to refill the carts?
That depends on how much printing volume you have. I went a couple months without refilling any but had an order that required over 120 full color, full sheet designs on 13 x 19 paper...depending on colors of design. I refilled all the carts only once on that project.....but the carts were almost empty when done so it took almost 2 full carts to complete job. No biggie, made very good profit on that job and cost of ink was minimal.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
I have had nothing but issues with my Cobra CIS and WF-7110. Even though the guys are quick to help via text, the issues get overwhelming.

Even today, my cyan ink stopped printing, again....I had to stop and blow out the print head, again...now I am down to the wire on several jobs. 2nd replacement printer, 2nd replacement CIS. And like you, it stops recognizing the cartridges mid print but usually if I re-seat them, it starts working again. Wasted paper, wasted time.

I share in your frustration. What set up did you end up going with?
If you used refillable carts you wouldn't have these problems ;)

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Did you purchase your printer directly from Cobra? I read a little snippet that some of the printer versions intended for other countries may not recognize the CIS. I am considering this package from them but I'm concerned about it working correctly.
Beginners should use refillable carts first. ;)

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
After 3 weeks of struggling with that contraption from Cobra I gave it a heave hoe to my dumpster and went back to making $$$ instead of trying to fix that mickey mouse piece of junk.

I make money with what some people call expensive ink. I don't care how cheap the ink is, if you can't print, you aren't making any money. I don't make money with junk that doesn't work and takes hours a day going through all these steps to be right back where i started.....an altered machine that won't "see" what it is supposed to due to a flaw in their "work around" That's just the hardware, the software (colormanagment) set u is another case of poorly worded, unfocused, wishful thinking.

Good for all you folks with so much time on your hands you can figure it all out. You must be rich since your company doesn't need you to run it while you geek out over technical jargon us mere mortals fail to grasp while we multi-task a business that can't go on hold while we play
I have been using Epsons and refillable carts since the beginning of inkjet sublimation. My printers last 2 to 3 years typically.

I save over $300 month not buying SG inks.

To be successful you need to learn to maintain a printer, troubleshoot when necessary, and learn color management.

You don't need the SG "training wheels" to be successful.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I have been using Epsons and refillable carts since the beginning of inkjet sublimation. My printers last 2 to 3 years typically.

I save over $300 month not buying SG inks.

To be successful you need to learn to maintain a printer, troubleshoot when necessary, and learn color management.

You don't need the SG "training wheels" to be successful.
Just thinking:

• If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
  • $250/month of Cobra ink is appr. 1.2 liter/month = 1200 ml/month.
  • If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
  • If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
  • If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
  • If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
  • With the $300/month saving on ink, you save $3600/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month... :confused:

Am I misunderstanding something?

With a wide format printer, you would have 700 ml or 1000 ml cartridges, that is 2.8-4 liter/printer, so you would have to touch the cartridges max. 4 times/year (!). You could use cheaper roll paper, you could have built in paper cutter, you could print larger images than 13"x19", etc.. For less than 10% of your 1-year profit, you could have the wide format printer and - if you'd still want to save extra on ink - you could still start messing with refillable cartridges and using other than SC ink.

I am not selling wide format printers! :)

Just thinking...

·
Registered
454 Posts
Just thinking:

• If you can save $300/month using Cobra ink, you have to spend at least $250/month on Cobra ink (or $550/month SC) because SC ink is appr. 2.2 times as expensive as Cobra.
  • If one image needs e.g. 1 ml (1 cc) of ink, you have to print 1200 images/month.
  • If you have 4 refillable cartridges in your EPSON printer, you have 3 standard (4 ml) and 1 XL (10 ml) cartridge. That is 22 ml ink altogether.
  • If you have to print 1200 ml ink per month, you have to refill your cartridges at least 1200/22=54 times/month.
  • If you sell 1200 images/month for e.g.: $4 profit/image, you make more than $4.8K/month = $57.6K/year.
For this saving, you are using a desktop EPSON printer and refilling your cartridges 54 times/month... :confused:

With a wide format printer, you would have 700 ml or 1000 ml cartridges, that is 2.8-4 liter/printer, so you would have to touch the cartridges max. 4 times/year (!). You could use cheaper roll paper, you could have built in paper cutter, you could print larger images than 13"x19", etc.. For less than 10% of your 1-year profit, you could have the wide format printer and - if you'd still want to save extra on ink - you could still start messing with refillable cartridges and using other than SC ink.

Just thinking...
True, I picked up an HP Z6100 used that I use for pigment ink heat transfer paper. We do a lot of canvas panels (12 x 16). We pre-print them for "paint your pet" classes and then they paint over the pictures with acrylic paint (kind of like paint by numbers). I have also used that printer for Photo Tex window coverings and various other stuff. I go through a set of eight 750 ml ink cartridges about every 6 months with that printer. It wouldn't make sense to use the Epson for that. We use the Epson for printing brochures, flyers, checks and everyday office stuff. I also use it for dye sub printing (primarily mugs, but also some aluminum panels and a few shirts). Most of the shirts we do are either Heat Press Vinyl or Heat Transfer.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
Just thinking:

Just thinking...
Dude, I have 2 13 x 19 printers and many carts, which I rotate in and out. Your math is wacko :rolleyes:, and SG desktop inks are 5x as expensive.

I sell mostly tiles and larger items, I make more than 4 bucks an item or I wouldn't be doing this :rolleyes: AND I sell wholesale, hence the volume.

And your wide format reasoning doesn't fit me. I do what I do with sub $200 printers, WHY should I use a wide format printer that cost >$5K. I run 2 printers at a time real often.

You don't have a clue about my business economics nor these printers.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Dude, I have 2 13 x 19 printers and many carts, which I rotate in and out. Your math is wacko :rolleyes:, and SG inks are 5x as expensive.

I sell mostly tiles and larger items, I make more than 4 bucks an item or I wouldn't be doing this :rolleyes: AND I sell wholesale, hence the volume.

And your wide format reasoning doesn't fit me. I do what I do with sub $200 printers, WHY should I use a wide format printer that cost >$5K. I run 2 printers at a time real often.

I see why you struggle with your printers, you don't have a clue about economics or this business.
We get $20 for a pre-printed canvas (retail). Though the classes are $50 and includes the pre-printed canvas. The canvas costs about a little over a buck and the transfer paper about a buck and then a little for the ink, so the markup is good. The big advantage of the large format printer is speed. I print them two up (24" media) and it spits them right out. I usually do batches of 20 to 30 and this is not my day job, so I have to squeeze it into my schedule. I can do 20 in about an hour, including pressing and sizing and framing the photos.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
We get $20 for a pre-printed canvas (retail). Though the classes are $50 and includes the pre-printed canvas. The canvas costs about a little over a buck and the transfer paper about a buck and then a little for the ink, so the markup is good. The big advantage of the large format printer is speed. I print them two up (24" media) and it spits them right out. I usually do batches of 20 to 30 and this is not my day job, so I have to squeeze it into my schedule. I can do 20 in about an hour, including pressing and sizing and framing the photos.
If I had the demand for sublimation items larger than 13 x 19 I would use a different printer.

I have a 4880 that is 17 inches wide but I keep pigments in it.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
SG 7100DN SubliJet-R HC Ink Cartridge - Yellow

SG ink on comparable Ricoh = $131.00 / 60 mL = 2.183333333333333

https://www.cobraink.com/store/#!/4-Color-Sublimation-Ink-New-CS-4-2-Single-Bottles/p/70830160/category=21215012

Cobra inks 8 OZs (236.58 mL) $58.00 / 236 mL = $0.245 per mL

Now if I had to buy SG @ 131 per color x 4 = $524 a month then one can see how easy I save at least $300 a month not having to buy their ripoff carts. I use more than 60 mL per color a month :rolleyes:
Actually I hadn't looked at SG prices for the Ricoh in a while, it's substantially more than 5X ;)

·
Registered
454 Posts
If I had the demand for sublimation items larger than 13 x 19 I would use a different printer.

I have a 4880 that is 17 inches wide but I keep pigments in it.
Yeah, not sublimation. Like I mentioned before, I use the Epson WF-7610 for that (mostly mugs once or twice a week). We don't make a lot on the mugs. We sell logo mugs for $6 and custom mugs for $12. The logo mugs are good advertising, though and we give one away to groups of 10 or more (a picture of the group on the mug with an inscription and our logo on the other side) and they can buy more for $6 each. It is pretty low volume though. Maybe 12 mugs a week. This is all supplemental stuff for an art studio/wine bar/restaurant.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts