T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm buying my first sublimation printer. WF-7710/7720 no longer anywhere to be found, the WF-7820 or WF-7840 look like the new logical replacements. I just want to make sure I won't have any problem finding and using sublimation ink.

A quick search didn't reveal for sale solutions yet, it's still pretty new.

I'd appreciate any info on compatible sublimation cartridges or possible sublimation issues. thx

·
Banned
246 Posts
If you are going Epson you are doing yourself a huge favor by getting an EcoTank model. No hassles with a CIS or refillable cartridges. If you cannot afford one wait till you can.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you are going Epson you are doing yourself a huge favor by getting an EcoTank model. No hassles with a CIS or refillable cartridges. If you cannot afford one wait till you can.
Which model do you recommend?
btw, I see Cosmos has WF-7820/7840 sublimation ink "coming soon".

·
Registered
7 Posts
I called Cobra today about this and they thought they might be another month until they’re offering inks for the new WF printers.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm buying my first sublimation printer. WF-7710/7720 no longer anywhere to be found,...
What did you end up doing?

I was just looking tonight, B&H Photo says they have more WF-7210 coming. I don't know if they really do, but this is what their site says: "More on the Way - Expected availability: 7-10 business days"

I already have one I use for pigment prints. Was thinking of getting another for sublimation.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What did you end up doing?
Yeah, I was having a hard time getting excited about a discontinued WF-7210 model, even if I could find it.

Kind of a long story, but I wound up getting the ET-2720, $199. Only 8.5" but I'm really just biding my time until I pull the trigger on a DTG, hopefully in next 6-9mos. Want to do an OPENDTG DIY kit conversion of the P700, but the technology is just not ready yet.

Also, I'll be doing a lot of sublimating on EasySubli (for dark and/or cotton) and I think the sheet size savings may likely wash against any marginal loss of business at my start-up volume for the next 6 mos.

I figure if my volume takes off and I'm wrong about the size, I'll have plenty additional options in a few months for 13" x 19" sublimation printer (ET 15000 or WF 7820 if sublimation finally avail) or the P700 DTG kit may become avail.

But thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
867 Posts
I'll be doing a lot of sublimating on EasySubli (for dark and/or cotton)
We're going to need updates on this in its own thread, please. Every time a process like this comes up it sparks a (usually) ugly debate. And when I've looked into EasySubli, most of the videos are from people who are selling it so the transfers have a huge, ugly border that makes it easier to weed so it looks easy on video. I've only seen one video where they did a bit more intricate cutting and it looked like a nightmare to weed. All stretchy and almost gooey.

So, a nice review from a member who actually uses this stuff would be welcome!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're going to need updates on this in its own thread, please. Every time a process like this comes up it sparks a (usually) ugly debate. And when I've looked into EasySubli, most of the videos are from people who are selling it so the transfers have a huge, ugly border that makes it easier to weed so it looks easy on video. I've only seen one video where they did a bit more intricate cutting and it looked like a nightmare to weed. All stretchy and almost gooey.

So, a nice review from a member who actually uses this stuff would be welcome!
I'll post something when I have some experience to report. The method certainly has its compromises, but I think it fits with the step I am at right now in needs and resources. The other way I almost went (and might still add) is sublimation on white toner, but seems that the EasySubli should have a better hand and durability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts