T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello, My name is Joseph Fowler I have been reading for awhile and post a little. This is the first post I have started. I hope it has some usefull information to some of you that play in the digital relm.

Ok I was just talking to our local epson tech about my converision of an epson 9000 to dye sublimation. After all of my silly intro questions he of course wanted to sell me a new epson 9880, admirable but would break my bank and a couple more. He did tell me however that Epson will be anouncing in the near future.

The Epson 9890 (replacement for the 9880) Will no longer support conversion to Dye Sublimation or Heat transfer Inks by LICENSE of purchase. There not stopping there all other large formats will no longer support the options either. So Buy them while they last couse there not coming around again. Or Thid party inks of any type.

With that said he wouldn't elaborate if they will be offering there own dye sub system. My thought was no since they now have there own eco-solvent.

So all those people out there that I have been reading about that are mad at Sawgrass, Well It looks like there is an answer from a much larger competitor. Stop taking our business and develope your own!

Six different thoughts come to me for the reason behind this decision.

1st sawgrass may have refused a piece of the pie.

2nd Epson simply wants back the estimated 30% market loss in the post consumer ink business

3rd Epson has a new product line coming out or type of water based ink.

4th What is going to happen to all of the companies that refit epson machinery to DTG?

5th will this lower the upfront cost on large format? (ie what happened in the consumer market with the disposable inkjet)

6th how will a rip company operate on the new machinery?

Hope this give someone some info. Personaly didn't change anything if my company is alive in a year then I'll worry about new technology. But for now my Epson r1800, 9000, Cutter, and laminator are it until I can Add an eco oooh I can't wait.

Good luck to you and your in all of your endeavors!

·
Premium Member
5,953 Posts
It was a while back that they quit supplying the pro series printhead to modified printers. It was mainly due to conditions not being met by the agreements of certain companies that were not complying with epson rules. Here is what it states on compass micro, which is one of the main distributors of epson parts CompassMicro.com. They will not sell the printheads directly to the customer and machines must be brought in for replacement, it is up to the service center whether they will service your particular model if it has been modified.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Call me Mister Negative, but I can't help but feel that if Epson did bring out some alternative method to sublimation, it would be using their own chipped cartridges, with very little cost saving.

From my recollection, Epson cartridges used to monitor inks without being chipped. I had refillable bulk cartridges in my old Epson 3000 that worked just fine. It was suggested that the printheads on the 3000 had deliberately been engineered to be difficult to replace. This coming from one of their own service engineers.

Trouble with Epson, is that they don't always appreciate that people often need to use a different type of ink, to that which normally comes with the machine. Although you can get bulk feeders for Hewlett Packard and Canon machines, I believe that only Epson printheads are suitable for sublimation inks?

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you think Sawgrass is the problem,wait. If this is true about Epson, Sawgrass will look like your best friend. A company that manufactures the printers and the inks that you have to buy for it, look out! Example I have a CX4800 for office work $69 dollars for the printer when I bout it. It cost me almost $50 for the ink at Costco.

·
Premium Member
7,661 Posts
Hello, My name is Joseph Fowler.
Thank you for the informative post, Joseph. PS: There are more than one of you, lol, I knew of one when I lived in Jersey. I do see the 1400's on a very good sale this week, $199. Now, even the normal price on Epson.com says $299, and I believe that is dropped from $349 or $399. I notice the upper models and prices increasing up there, so I sensed something was going on, but have no idea what? The upper models look like they are going up, and more high end models being introduced, and looks like the low end are being shuffled out the door. Can you put this together with the information you are posting here, and make any more sense out of that for me? Is there a connection here, or no? Thanks, Joseph. :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't be sure but my feeling would be that the 1400 will be gone soon, even at the local office depot they are on sale for 199 with an instant rebate. If you notice the r1800 is now gone with r1900 coming up. I don't know anywone that has bought an r1900 but if there is someone out there I would love for them to post or read the lisence agreement that is included. I figure that there are enough pro-am photographers out there that it won't be to hard to get an 4880 or 4800 for at least four years and the print heads longer than that. Atleast I am keeping fingers crosse since I can't afford one for probably a year. But as far as a connnection there definatly is. The goal of a tech driven company is to update improve or die. But the biggest thing that I see is points broght up in this article its old but still relavent. Printer Supply Revenue To Top $100B - Forbes.com When you look at the fact that Business to Business is the biggest inik market Epson IS moving now to protect themselves. I think one problem in the arena that they probably don't care about is the DTG and DYE sub businesses that rely on the third party ink. So three thoughts come to mind

1st. Use an alternative ink Eco-solvent for soft or laser for hard goods
2nd. Buy a couple of print heads at the time of purchase or extra printers.
3rd. Use the new printers that sawgrass or other manufactures Mutoh comes to mind will release to supply those business. However those printers will cost more how much is the real question.

So my course of action if you are going with the 1400 buy, three run your maintenance print daily to keep your lines and head clean. And wait for someone to save us lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts