T-Shirt Forums banner

21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
The Epson and Brother printers are industrial machines hence the price tag. It doesn't make sense to compare them to a mass produced car.

Look at it this way; one BMW 3 series costs x hundred million dollars to design and manufacture. Projected sales of z million units is what makes the project viable.

These dtg machines have high design, manufacture and on going warranty/service costs but the amount of units they expect to sell are low due to it being a niche product. Unless everyone suddenly decides to start printing clothes at home prices for the proper industrial machines will stay high.

I hope and can't see the price of a machine such as this decreasing any time soon.

Worth the money imo and these are cheap as chips compared to the likes of Kornit and Aeoon.

Also I dont understand; surely you expect your garments to fade slightly after a few washes. From what i've noticed this depends on the garment being used as much as the printer or the inks. Plastisol cracks and peels and DTG prints fade slightly but in my opinion DTG is still a much better looking print and does things which screen will never be able to do.

Theres no competition really; you need to offer both options. Screen for single colour cheap and cheerful high quantity designs and dtg for a more complex higher quality product.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ok I am sorry I did compare car to printer, and price. Still you have to admit that care get better value because it make sense. We can compare printer cutters that have ability to print in full color on many different materials, can make banners and signs and like Roland BN20 Versa Studio and that one can print white or metallic and cost less then $9000 so that is more then half price. Don't take mi wrong I like some features that direct to garment printers offer but my opinion is they way overpriced. I remember 23 years I bought my first color ink jet printer HP desk jet 500c and I paid that one $1300 . Today you can buy 50 times better printer for $130 . So if I understand we are approximately about 8 years from official starting point of DTG printers. By my calculation if this industry make same progress as paper printing some time in 2028 we will be able to purchase DTG that will print on almost anything will be much faster and will cost about $2300. That is only theory and I hope somebody will lough on my comment. All the best in New Year to everybody here .

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Well you have to look at the number users of desk top printers vs DTG. So 300 million vs 45 thousand, numbers are example only but..... U get the point. Desk top ink if bought in carts, $1500 per liter. DTG ink $225-$400 per liter. Mfg of desktop make money from ink not the printer it is sold at cost, MOL. Mfg of DTG don't have the consumable sales of Qty to sell the DTG at cost, and that cost is much higher due to amortization thru numbers. Then the tech support cost, which are very high in DTG world. So it maybe longer than 2028. Then there is inflation etc. The affect of Epson hitting the market was a drop in DTG sales price of 20% MOL.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Randy has a very good point.

You can see how other vendors with cheap priners are doing - bad support, cash flow problems, missed deadalines, problem with parts avaibility.

Running a business cost. The money dosen't go just to the pocket.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes I agree , printer manufacturers make more money on ink then on printers. I learn that long time ago. And price for DTG ink is lower than paper ink because you need much more ink to make print on fabric. And that is point where we loosing fight against screen printing. We cant compete on large orders. The cost of print is at least 10 times lower than on DTG. And as I said before large orders are where you make money. It is more easy to find 4 costumers that need 250 shirts than 100 costumers that need 10 shirts. Even you can charge this small orders more money it is hard to find locally big number of costumers. That is reason why is cafepress.com successful they approaching costumers all over the world. And you need good website and lots of marketing and many people don't know how to do that properly. I don want to discourage anybody in this business I just want to tell what is obstacle and to motivate people to find solution and make better way in order to be more successful in there business and make more money then they invest.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

I am about to order a direct t-shirt printer but like to read reviews from people with experience. I like the epson but it is new and it hasn't proved itself yet (am I wrong?). I like the quality of Brother but think the ink and accessories are quite expensive. I also like the Freejet because if I am informed well it is using a printer head and other elements of Epson.

Somebody who can give me advice?

Marieke

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Hi!

I am about to order a direct t-shirt printer but like to read reviews from people with experience. I like the epson but it is new and it hasn't proved itself yet (am I wrong?). I like the quality of Brother but think the ink and accessories are quite expensive. I also like the Freejet because if I am informed well it is using a printer head and other elements of Epson.

Marieke
If you like Brother quality you will love Epson more.
Freejet is based on 2880 or 4880. Yes it is using Epson printer and modified. Nothing wrong with that. 2880 base cannot be compare with F2000. 4880 base could be. ***Check machine price and check ink price.***
We just finish show in Long Beach with Epson and NeoFlex.
Quality is there on Epson quality is not doubtable. Get samples from dealers. All are free. If you use your own art it will be better way too.
Read all posts here before you open your wallet.
Cheers! Beers are on me always.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Hi!

Marieke

Peter had some very good points on comparing different printer brands. i also just got back from the ISS Long Beach show where we were displaying the Epson and the Veloci-Jet Printers. (Wow - what a weather change - 80 degrees in Long Beach and come back to New Jersey to a snow storm tomorrow)

It is a very good idea to send your own artwork to each printer seller and have them send you a sample of a printed shirt from their machine. Using your own artwork allows to to more accurately gauge the different print qualities you get from each seller. It's even a good idea to get sample prints from each Epson F2000 dealer as there are differences in the RIP's each is offering. Compare maximum print area sizes, cost of consumables, warranty specifics. Also find out what if any additional services are available such as onsite training and later support services.

_

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Also find out what if any additional services are available such as onsite training and later support services.
Harry, you are so funny. You say this because you offer this at show. LOL. I took picture.
This stands for you will scarify travel expense from Profit. Same time you did cut all other dealer's too. Lol.
Well all Dealers must follow. LOL. I am in. What else can we throw in?
Does this necessary? Probably thre are many different views.
Better benefit should be offered to end user than at on site training. Many none sense but hey if that's the game you call then we have o play.:)
I guess all dealers has to offer same as you do. Well~. I am in and will top you, lol. and others will follow.
I will offer as "if buyer wants to, because it is so easy as 123 abc." I rather give real worth benefit than no weigh benefit.
Drop ship fom Epson: Free shipping.(waiting, maybe no inventory)
Ship from dealer: free shipping?(no waiting, more stock more sell)
B said at show to me "Harry will be a starter". He was right.
Well, Harry you did many email forwarding these days too. Lol.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Harry, you are so funny. You say this because you offer this at show. LOL. I took picture.
This stands for you will scarify travel expense from Profit. Same time you did cut all other dealer's too. Lol.
Well all Dealers must follow. LOL. I am in. What else can we throw in?
Does this necessary? Probably thre are many different views.
Better benefit should be offered to end user than at on site training. Many none sense but hey if that's the game you call then we have o play.:)
I guess all dealers has to offer same as you do. Well~. I am in and will top you, lol. and others will follow.
I will offer as "if buyer wants to, because it is so easy as 123 abc." I rather give real worth benefit than no weigh benefit.
Drop ship fom Epson: Free shipping.(waiting, maybe no inventory)
Ship from dealer: free shipping?(no waiting, more stock more sell)
B said at show to me "Harry will be a starter". He was right.
Well, Harry you did many email forwarding these days too. Lol.
Please know that in my dealings with Harry and Terry at EZ they had nothing but kind words to say about AA and yourself (in fact all the other dealers/manufactures). That says a lot for a competitor. EZ offered to come to my location to set up. Easy decision when there will be 3 of us here to train. I was at LB this weekend. Spent most of my time with Larry at Epson. He is the product manager so the buck stops there imho. Must of impressed him because I showed him a couple of new things and he gave me his direct line to stay in contact. Good things to come for sure..... Really was impressed with Cadlink RIP.

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
Cadlink is good RIP. Dave is very knowledgable person. I always have respect toward him.
iProof also. EK rip is most popular on Epson modified field. I am 99% sure all will come up with F2000 rip. exactly same as Modified field now.
However, isn't it little cute Harry saying "find such as this while what I am offering(not saying)" that was funny. I meant.
Also find out what if any additional services are available such as **onsite training**
Quite a salesman:)
Was Nobody but him but now all are.:) Harry made us. Lol.
On site training is going to be social meeting on site. Too easy.:)
Cheers!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new here and just looking up some info on all this DTG printing, I just bought an Epson SC F2000 and am already very happy with the extra busyness it has brought me.

Here is a link to a youtube post I did with the printer:

http://youtu.be/JtF_wQoW-n4

I wenth for the CMYK+W but I can still reverse it to dual CMYK if I want to, you just need to clean the tubes and reset the machine and it will print CMYKYK.

The only downside for the epson is ink consumtion and not the consumption for printing but for maintanance.
Already did 3 tube washings and several cleanings ( just following epson's instructions on the printer)
After 3 weeks I already flushed two whole white ink cartridges ( 170Euro each) down the drain!!!!

Any one else having this problem with their DTG printers?

Epson's sales rep told me that this is normal if I didn't print to much shirts but it has been running each day and in 3 weeks we printed 804 prints with it!

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
Did you turn off the auto cleaning for your white ink when powering on? If you didn't, this will do a Medium Cleaning on your white every time you power on the printer. You can manually clean it with a Light cleaning after you power on the printer, saving quite a bit in ink.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Hi folks, I'm new here and just looking up some info on all this DTG printing, I just bought an Epson SC F2000 and am already very happy with the extra busyness it has brought me.

Here is a link to a youtube post I did with the printer:

http://youtu.be/JtF_wQoW-n4

I wenth for the CMYK+W but I can still reverse it to dual CMYK if I want to, you just need to clean the tubes and reset the machine and it will print CMYKYK.

The only downside for the epson is ink consumtion and not the consumption for printing but for maintanance.
Already did 3 tube washings and several cleanings ( just following epson's instructions on the printer)
After 3 weeks I already flushed two whole white ink cartridges ( 170Euro each) down the drain!!!!

Any one else having this problem with their DTG printers?

Epson's sales rep told me that this is normal if I didn't print to much shirts but it has been running each day and in 3 weeks we printed 804 prints with it!
The ink consumption seems to be the biggest concern for some owners of this printer. Epson knew what they were doing with this printer. Ink sales is what they really want, IMO.

A local customer of mine just purchased an F2000 and I will be taking it for a test drive tomorrow. I'm anxious to finally get familiar with one and curious to hear what his thoughts are on it thus far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did you turn off the auto cleaning for your white ink when powering on? If you didn't, this will do a Medium Cleaning on your white every time you power on the printer. You can manually clean it with a Light cleaning after you power on the printer, saving quite a bit in ink.
Yep turned it off last week, first two weeks it was turned on but I found this option in the printer menu and turned it off as this indeed saves us some ink.

thanks for the info anyway :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The ink consumption seems to be the biggest concern for some owners of this printer. Epson knew what they were doing with this printer. Ink sales is what they really want, IMO.

A local customer of mine just purchased an F2000 and I will be taking it for a test drive tomorrow. I'm anxious to finally get familiar with one and curious to hear what his thoughts are on it thus far.
I knew that they did this for my R1800 and R2100 printers but on a 20K printer I would think they would at least help their customers save on ink!

Any way I might have made a bad choise between the Brother and the Epson, maybe I should have gone for the brother but the softer white underbase is why I opted for Epson, The Brother had a thick white underbase that reminded me of our TTRH (Roland Eco-Max printable flex) prints that realy where to think for large graphics and did not have a good feel. The epson has a soft touch for the white but I need to hurry to get some shirts printed as white ink seems to run out realy fast with the tube cleanings :)

·
Registered
7,359 Posts
No woman/man is perfect. Same as DTG printers.
They all have pros and cons. But we all have our partner.
If there are printer under 10K$ and ink price is $100 and warranty is good forever and maintenance easy and maintenance cost is near Zero. Gives good quality print out.
I will buy that all day long. Aren't you?
Where is this woman? LOL
Study her before get marry. Safe sex please :)
No matter what Epson/she has it's own nice Space where I want to stay over.
Cheers! Inks are on me always.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have to admit, I'm really nervous about blowing my ink into the drain. I wasn't really advised of how much ink would be lost for general maintenance. The only thing I can think of that makes me feel better is I haven't scrapped any shirts because of the printer. Matter of fact only 2 out of at least 50 prints or so because of a bad pretreat. So maybe the savings in shirts will go towards flushing ink down the drain.

Jerid how do you modify the printer settings as you mentioned above? I clicked around the settings and didn't see anything?

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I don't have access to a printer at the moment, but I believe it's Menu > Printer Settings > Auto On Cleaning (something like this) > Off

As for the waste, what I tell people is it's $126 per month. If you are printing 125 shirts a month, it's roughly $1 extra per shirt. If you are at 500 shirts, it's roughly $0.25 per shirt, but if it's 50, then it's $2.50 per shirt. So be sure you want to use white ink or at least have the jobs for it. If you do not, the build up then business and use cleaning cartridges in the meantime. This gives you the ability to print without the extra cost. When the business builds up enough, then introduce white ink.

21 - 40 of 66 Posts