T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting this thread to document my build of my first DYI DTG based on a refurbished Epson r1900 I purchased for $350 (12% off promo code: review12). It arrived today and I spent about an hour so far disassembling the beast of a printer. I also spent a few hours wandering around Lowes, Home Depot and Menards seeing what's readily available for construction. My goal is to build this DTG with all easily acquirable materials. I also plan on writing my own rip software to go along with it since software engineering is my main profession. I'm loving the creativity and innovation going on in this forum. Wish me luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I am just finishing my 1900. Unfortunately I have to work out of town until next week. I used MDF. Heavy easy to cut. Assembled with screws so I can move things as I see fit. The ASF is a PITA. Notice the end with gears is not round. So let me know how you work that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I could afford it I'd make it free. To add support for multiple printers would mean I would have to purchase each printer for testing so there's a load of $$$. Initially it will be specific to the r1900 and I'd sell it really cheap since I've noticed ripping software is probably the most expensive part of DYI DTG currently. When I get to there I'm sure I'll post something on it in here and see where it goes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am just finishing my 1900. Unfortunately I have to work out of town until next week. I used MDF. Heavy easy to cut. Assembled with screws so I can move things as I see fit. The ASF is a PITA. Notice the end with gears is not round. So let me know how you work that.
What problems are you having with the ASF? I have mine completely removed and don't plan on using it at all. I'm still working on my design for the system and I'll post some 3D representations on here soon. I'm finding it really hard to resist ordering fancy drive train systems. I'm trying to design mine as simple as possible with off the shelf parts.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The ends should be used. One side the motor and gears to spin a shaft to turn the wheel with tab on the oppozite zide. The tAb needs to pass thdu the sensor. The epson board looks for a signal from this sensor on start up if it does not see it it will error out. I used the side panels , cut out to keep the spacing for gears and board shortened it to about 3.5 inches total.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
On the ASF subject it looks to me like you could use a switch to interrupt the circuit to simulate the tab passing thru the sensor. Then there is the signal to the asf motor to deal with.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A start to the design i'm envisioning in my head. It's nice to just move things around in software to see what it looks like.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
another revision. I have also located a .312 pulley at York Industries. They also have a piece of software for calculating belt length and ordering. I'm also order a belt tensioner from them. Hope it works.Also i need to custom order some bottom side drawer slides, the ones are got at lowes are a few inches too short since they don't telescope like side rails.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Good slide rails are important. The ones at lowes work but the quality is lacking. I am looking at finding some new ones. If you are paying 20$ for rails they probably not the best for this type project.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Thanks for the pulley info. Also I use a belt with a joiner cut to length. Easier to fine tune. However I do think a 1 piece is optimal. But since it just goes back and forth the cut works fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I'm thinking I will use a belt with a joiner also and then mount a bracket onto the joiner itself to connect the platen tray. How do you connect to the belt? After some research I think i'm going to go with a rail guideway system and throw out the shelving sliders. It's going to make my printer foot print a lot longer but the lower friction and less wear on the motor will be a plus. I'm going for a 13" x 20" platen so with a 6" area for the printer plus a couple inches for pulleys makes the length of my base 34" and then 46" of workspace to allow movement of the platen.

12mm Linear Motion Systems:Ceramic,Miniature Ball Bearings

Anyone know of any good suppliers for linear motion systems??

·
Registered
37 Posts
why not use a two sided timing belt and make a flat stock with notches to fit the belt like the pully. And if you make it lift when you slide the tray back and reseat when it the belt feeds out I think this would be a good fit. Long draw slides can be found at the surplus center on line
Thanks Randy

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
You can try small drive sterling instrument.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts