T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the 2 different Epson Black catridges(Matte and Photo) being printed on heat transfers.

I recently purchased a Pigmentation CIS system and I have the option of using the Photo Black or the Matte Black ink. I wasn't sure which one is a better black for T-shirts.

I found this article online, but it's no specific to heat transfers. From the looks of it one of the blacks look more greyish in the samples.
2200 Matt Black Ink

Thanks....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
At least one bulk ink supplier (Inkjetcarts) recommends using matte black for heat pressing. When I asked Cobra the type of ink used for their pigment black, he said it was photo.

The difference is how the ink penetrates resin coated papers. Matte inks tend to puddle on top of the resin coating. Matte paper can take either kind. The photo ink would therefore be more "universal."

For most heat press papers I don't think it makes much of a difference, though I do have to say that I don't feel I get the jet-black blacks with Cobra's ink that I would like. Someday, when I switch to cartridges as opposed to CISS, I may try the matte black, just to see.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
FYI, this is from the Epson FAQ for the R2880, which has separate cartridges for photo and matte black:

Why do I need to switch between Matte Black and Photo Black ink cartridges?

A: The standard Photo Black ink has been optimized for RC and Photographic grade media types. If you’re printing on matte-type papers such as Epson Velvet Fine Art, Premium Presentation Paper Matte, or UltraSmooth Fine Art, your black density is significantly better when using Matte Black ink.

·
Registered
7 Posts
FYI, this is from the Epson FAQ for the R2880, which has separate cartridges for photo and matte black:

Why do I need to switch between Matte Black and Photo Black ink cartridges?

A: The standard Photo Black ink has been optimized for RC and Photographic grade media types. If you’re printing on matte-type papers such as Epson Velvet Fine Art, Premium Presentation Paper Matte, or UltraSmooth Fine Art, your black density is significantly better when using Matte Black ink.
That was some good info. I just started, well haven't even started making t-shirts yet. Just bought a Epson pro 4800, UScutter MH871 vinyl cutter, and Gecko 16x24 heat press. I just wanted to know what would work better matte black or photo black. Will be using JetPro Super Stretch transfer paper and Opaque II. Also looking for good aftermarket pigmented ink for refills. Any suggestion or opinion would be great!

·
Registered
32 Posts
We use a R1900 Epson printer for photos and found that the matte is better for transfers much darker
Just seems to work better than the Photo Black
Been using Matte black for three years in the printer we turn off the the photo black and the gloss

·
Registered
7 Posts
Too bad I ordered photo black.. Ill switch to matte black next time around. Im using a Epson Pro 4800 printer and thanks once again..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts