T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering purchasing a wide format Epson EcoTank printer to convert to sublimation ink, rather than shelling out the higher cost of a F570. A F170 is too small at 8.5x11 for my needs. Possibly considering an ET-15000 so that it can support 11x17.

Epson's sublimation ink for the F170 and F570 is T49M. What I am trying to find out is whether the T49M bottle nozzles have the same keying as the Epson 502, such that I could simply use genuine Epson ink in the T49M bottle directly into a printer that uses the 502 bottle, without having to change nozzles or otherwise transfer the ink in another fashion.

I do realize that there is generic ink out there that has compatible nozzles (ie Hiipoo) but I am simply asking about Epson ink compatibility.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I do not know the answer to that question. But you might also look into what to do for an icc profile in that situation, as the ET-15000 expects different Epson ink, not the Epson sublimation ink. I can't remember the outcome of previous posts along those lines, but they are there if you search.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you are planning on printing bright and vivid prints, do NOT get the epson ink. The colors are very flat. I went from a 2720 with amazon inks to an F170 with the T49M inks and the colors were AWFUL on the F170 compared to the 2720. The reason I switched is because my blacks were always a reddish hue in the sun - never a true black (with the amazon ink). The t49m is a true black ink and looks great in direct light, but outside of that, the other inks are completely flat. (using epson's profiles - troubleshot with them for two hours as I thought something was wrong, the inks were that dull.)

The F170 print quality also leaves A LOT to be desired - it's not sharp at all. I would stay away.

I would recommend going with a larger format tank printer and use 3rd party inks for the best results. Sadly the ink market is filled with composite blacks that are not true black inks, which may not affect you depending on what you're subbing on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts