T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Morning.

I have an Epson et 2720 currently set up for sublimation printing. I've not used it for a month and gone to use it and realised that I'm missing around half of my black and the majority of the magenta colour.

I've printed out a purge and attached that below.

I have run multiple nozzles cleans and finally a power clean to no avail.

I've ordered a cleaning kit from amazon and will do that tomorrow but want to know if anyone has any other ideas around unblocking the head?

Thanks

Keillen

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
I assume the cleaning kit involves a syringe and head cleaning fluid? Maybe a nice quality paper towel to place under the head? (they have those blue Scott shop towels at Home Depot and the like). Also some Q-Tips to clean the rubber wiper and the seal around the capping station. That's the stuff to have on hand for this.

Going forward, the best practice is to print something like your purge test pattern once a week if you haven't done any printing that would have used every color. I made my own version of something like that, but with shorter blocks of color ... just want to make sure they are longer than the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I’ve ordered one like you mentioned me have some q tips. Where abouts is this rubber wiper?

Sorry for the seeming easy questions but I mostly work with laser printers!
Thanks for your help,

Keillen.
I assume the cleaning kit involves a syringe and head cleaning fluid? Maybe a nice quality paper towel to place under the head? (they have those blue Scott shop towels at Home Depot and the like). Also some Q-Tips to clean the rubber wiper and the seal around the capping station. That's the stuff to have on hand for this.

Going forward, the best practice is to print something like your purge test pattern once a week if you haven't done any printing that would have used every color. I made my own version of something like that, but with shorter blocks of color ... just want to make sure they are longer than the head.

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Yes I’ve ordered one like you mentioned me have some q tips. Where abouts is this rubber wiper?

Sorry for the seeming easy questions but I mostly work with laser printers!
Thanks for your help,

Keillen.
Your best bet is to find some videos on YouTube that show how to get around inside your printer. That said, the wiper is to the left of the capping station. You may need to flip it up/over to clean it, but not sure if all are like that.

Have to remove two screws to lift the top of the printer and gain access to the insides. Presumably the kit will include instructions, else YouTube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I’ve watched a video and I’ve got access to the printer, in the 2 videos I’ve watched they have flushed it 2 different ways.

first way they flushed it from the top of the ”cartridge” and the second one she took the cartridge out and then flushed it from where the cartridge sits on the head.

Thanks for your help!
Your best bet is to find some videos on YouTube that show how to get around inside your printer. That said, the wiper is to the left of the capping station. You may need to flip it up/over to clean it, but not sure if all are like that.

Have to remove two screws to lift the top of the printer and gain access to the insides. Presumably the kit will include instructions, else YouTube.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Made some progress with it I can get cleaning fluid through all the heads except magenta. I can’t get the fluid though that for some reason it seems like it is totally blocked. Squeezed some in and allowing it to sit. If not does anyone have any idea?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Made some progress with it I can get cleaning fluid through all the heads except magenta. I can’t get the fluid though that for some reason it seems like it is totally blocked. Squeezed some in and allowing it to sit. If not does anyone have any idea?
Thanks
Get a good quality paper towel moist with the cleaning fluid, and park the head over it. Let it sit. Might also try this with glass cleaner that contains ammonia. About half of a paper towel folded over to fit the inside the track/path the head passes over. Can also grab each end of the paper towel and gently draw it back and forth so it lightly scrubs the face of the head.

Don't use too much force with the syringe, as it can damage the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just done that pulling it forward and back there is no colours on the paper towel so that says to be the face of the head is clean.
Going to put it back together and run a magenta purge through it a few times and see what that’s like. If not looks like I’ll be going to buy a new printer!

Any recommendations for a new printer lol

thanks for your help
Get a good quality paper towel moist with the cleaning fluid, and park the head over it. Let it sit. Might also try this with glass cleaner that contains ammonia. About half of a paper towel folded over to fit the inside the track/path the head passes over. Can also grab each end of the paper towel and gently draw it back and forth so it lightly scrubs the face of the head.

Don't use too much force with the syringe, as it can damage the head.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well after putting it all back together it seems I’ve got somwhere with the magenta.
Small progress is progress right!

shall I just repeat what I’ve done again?

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Well... hopefully you've learned your lesson. You cannot leave a printer filled with ink unused for a month.
I know people think the ink is water soluble dye so it should be OK, but sublimation dyes are solid particles suspended in water.
The printhead is probably recoverable with a bit of effort, but having no access to the nozzle plate makes it difficult.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Indeed!
We live and learn.

suppose there is a silver lining I’m starting all over again with inks and a printer that have all the correct ICC etc!

Is there any tips you can you help
Me with you stop this again in the future?
Thanks

keillen
Well... hopefully you've learned your lesson. You cannot leave a printer filled with ink unused for a month.
I know people think the ink is water soluble dye so it should be OK, but sublimation dyes are solid particles suspended in water.
The printhead is probably recoverable with a bit of effort, but having no access to the nozzle plate makes it difficult.

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Keep printing is the best thing to do.

If you plan to leave the printer unused for an extended period of time:
a) Remove the ink and fill it with flushing solution.
b) Pull some of the solution the same way to clear the tubes.
c) Then run a few cleaning cycles to clear the remaining ink from the printhead
This is common practice for expensive printers, and the printer will not clog even if you leave it unused for months.
Here is a video I found showing the process of removing the ink.

You could actually try filling the magenta with flushing solution and try to unclog you print-head this way.
The flushing solution works much better than ink, but you may want to mix a little bit of magenta ink, otherwise the magenta test pattern will not be visible.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I made my own version of something like that, but with shorter blocks of color ... just want to make sure they are longer than the head.
So I can assume just a few inches on Epson desktop printers, or is it more complicated to make sure they're long enough?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just curious, are you printing an RGB or CMYK image. If you send a CMYK to that printer , the colors will look faded.

Also, are you printing on sublimation paper? If you are, do not judge the output on the paper, press onto a 100% poly fabric.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had the same problem here when I went away for 2 weeks on a holiday. Soaked paper towels in cleaning fluid and let head sit for 24hrs on the paper, then flushed all colours using the syringe and cleaning solution. Printer been printing for 6 months since and is perfect.

Notes/Tips

• You do need to remove a couple of screws.
  • Do a test print then pull the power cable once it starts (as this will unlock the head and allow you to manually slide it left and right).
  • I used a piece of HTV Vinyl clear plastic sticky backing and cut it to shape and bent the long edges up to fit the length of the path that the head travels. I then folded the paper towel and put into the custom made tray... this stops fluid going into the printer (and can be used over and over).
  • After cleaning, I removed each cartridge and purged the fluid manually and then manually filled them with the correct colour ink before reconnecting to the main CISS tank.

I now print a colour test pattern sheet on all my sub printers 3 times a week if they are idle.

Good luck... its a pain in the arse procedure, but saves you a few hundred $$.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts