T-Shirt Forums banner
141 - 160 of 212 Posts

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
It has shaken up some on this forum and so it should as some suppliers in the DTG market have been not been good enough.
As it should....and you are right, there's a lot more then meets the eye to designing a good DTG printer that goes far beyond simply stripping down and modifying an existing Epson print-engine, especially when ones pushes white ink though a printer that did not have provisions for it to start with.
If nothing has changed in the ink delivery system from the un-modified Epson print-engine then that's cause for concern that will fall into the “not been good enough” category.
One of the greater cost's of ownership all of these printers surrounds maintenance functions and up-time.
Without addressing this area with additional innovative engineering it will as you said, fall into the “not been good enough” category.
It seems Epson understands this also and from what I was told from people looking at the demo unit and talking to the engineers focused on just that and have made some pretty slick additions that address maintenance and specifically white ink printing....impressive and expected knowing who they are.
This is one of the areas that many modified Epson type DTG printers fall or will fall into the “not good enough” category if the modified for DTG printers did not make any changes to the ink delivery and maintenance systems, as this is key.
I know there are a lot of other things that most never see or know about specifically that
address DTG printing at the firmware level that I would expect from Epson to modify suitably.
From what I “see” I like what they have done so far.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Agreed.
Epson is New Kid in the block. He is handsome and tall.
Instead of hide girlfriend and grab our play balls all Mfg should find the way to survive and not shaken.
I am sure you are in this, others also AA.
Cheers! Are you recovered 100%? Wish your best.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I don't know if this has been mentioned and I overlooked it or not, but does anyone think Epson will put an end to 3rd party companies manufacturing and selling DTG printers made with their print head technology. I'd imagine they didn't care much before getting into the DTG market themselves. Are there going to be cease and desist letters followed by potential lawsuits in the future?

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
Let's say I bought John Deer grass cutter . Take Engine out made my toy. What They can do? How can they stop me? Stop selling to Home Depot?
Modifiers made them re-think EPSON Engine is the best Choice for DTG.
Best Image quality(Proven by this forum Contests and other places), inexpensive Printhead, last very long with little maintenance (look Tjets, after 8-9 years still running), Parts are available at INEXPENSIVE($300-500) price tag. parts can be purchase every where on earth instead of ONLY choice by mfg $1500-2000(on Printhead, how about other parts when user has only one source), ink price is way low than who use RICHOs or Brother. If you were Epson CEO what will you do?:)
Basic in business world is "Wind could not take off man's hat but sun shine did".
Cheers! Have a nice weekend.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Seems like Peter and I keep an early schedule. Neo early birds.

While it is fun to speculate, ya kinda have to wait and see the package on the floor at a dealers. Unless they put buckets of effort into white ink, the other parameters can't be far off from the products "hot rodded" by the current crop who use Epson as a modified base to build off of.

I still say the Neo throughput is one of the best, not having to transfer an image to a stick, allowing changes on the fly, are premium features that should be everywhere. The DuPont ink gives feel equal to our dc/wb work, and the profiles are good.

Would also expect, if there is a game changer design feature, Neo will adapt, but improve on it. Maybe discharge on the printer and no white ub. Just a dream.

·
Registered
7,360 Posts
It is almost month ago since EPSON Dtg introduced to public eyes.
We shall see whole nine yards in SGIA in 20 days. 10/23-25 at Orlado. Where everyone bring out their wild card and show off. :)
What is your guesses? :)
How all Dtg mfgs and resellers will react?
What will be their secret weapons?
Cheers! Beers are on me always at SGIA.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There was an exhibiton last week in Budapest, Hungary and the new Epson dtg was there. Maybe I can provide some news.

Now, the RIP is working, it looks useful. The print speed on black shirt for a 37 cm x 24 cm graphic was exactly 3 minutes with one pass white and one pass color. I dont know the resolution, they just said "medium quality".
The print quality was good, but I think the print surface was too rubber, like transfer print.

The maintance looks easy, the flushing box, the wiper(totally diferent solution), cap station are easily changeable, cheap parts.

Price in Hungary: 17.000 EUR (now, for a short period, just 15.000 EUR and 13.000 EUR for the exhibited printer)

Ink price: 600 ml catridges (white and colors): 170 EUR
Precoat: 20L wich is a concentrate, it have to water down for 60L: 510 EUR

·
Banned
74 Posts
I bet this machine is based on epson 4900 print head. Since 4900 was a bomb they might have used the same head in this box. If that is the case... disaster. Does anyone know which print head is used? I also saw fabric cleaning for the head on their website.

I believe the real problem lies in the ink. If the inks had a lower viscosity the 4880 heads might last longer with less problems. If Neoflex came out with an upgrade for sale (a real wims) they would sell a ton of these units. A unit all 4880 based machines could use.

just my thoughts....:confused:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Why would Epson want to sell some retro fit parts when can they keep the technology to themselves and kill the market buy offering a reliable Epson based printer and make huge profits on their ink?

See how all the independents have signed up to be a part of the Epson plan? They don't join forces with the big players for the fun of it.

·
Banned
74 Posts
Well let's wait and see. It wouldn't be the first time Epson has reused technology. As far as the independents signing on with Epson I wouldn't take that as such a big deal. Big name, big product maybe a number of initial sales.

What happens after the sale is what counts. What might be a game changer is the inks.

141 - 160 of 212 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.