T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I just got off the phone w/the Epson customer service.
I wanted Durabrite ink for my printer, but they're not available.
So, I inquired about the C88 that I've read many people on this forum has, and the guy said that Durabrite is a Pigment ink and that it was not created nor tested by Epson for transfers.
The R220 and R200 were specifically created for photos and transfer paper. And the ink is different: it's DYE, not pigmented. He said it's better and tested.

ALright, my pops is offering to buy me a new printer for Xmas. So, which one?!
the difference in price is a mere $20, so the issue is really the INK choice (pigment or dye) and printer style.
Thanks if you reply.
LindaLu

PS. my middle problem comes and goes (mostly successes), so thanks for the replies on the previous thread.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Hi Lindalu,

I'm no experton this, but I do have a few thoughts that may help you decide, since I also looked into the printer question recently.

Lindalu said:
Okay, I just got off the phone w/the Epson customer service.
I wanted Durabrite ink for my printer, but they're not available.
So, I inquired about the C88 that I've read many people on this forum has, and the guy said that Durabrite is a Pigment ink and that it was not created nor tested by Epson for transfers..
I have learned here that many people do use the Durabrite inks with success, however, some report that the images are coming out too yellow and they needed to adjust the color output to compensate for that. I have read that the Durabrite inks were not really designed with the use of a heat press in mind.

What you want is a pigmented ink that is formulated with heat press transfers in mind. Magic Mix ink is highly reccomended by many people here. This ink can be located at TLM Supply House.
Now, before you go and buy a C88 printer, I was told by Cindy over at TLM Supply, that the C88 was NOT a good choice, and the C86, an older model, was a better.
I don't know why though. I can post a copy of her letter to me if you would like to see it.

The R220 and R200 were specifically created for photos and transfer paper. And the ink is different: it's DYE, not pigmented. He said it's better and tested..
Yes, that ink is DYE and it is better, and tested, for PHOTOS. I'm not too sure I would try to start a t-shirt business with inks that may give you trouble with customer satisfaction. Bad word of mouth travels much faster than good word of mouth. I'd stick with pigmented inks.

ALright, my pops is offering to buy me a new printer for Xmas. So, which one?!......
I would go with the R200, R220, R300, or R320 as a first choice depending on how much you want to spend. Those are all current printers. If you can get a C86 somewhere, then that would be my second choice.

Here is a little more information:
The R200, R220, R300, and R320 are all Dye based inks from the factory, however all of these models use the same ink cartridges and TLM Supply has a Magic Mix Bulk ink system for the R320. Cindy told me that if the cartridges are the same, then the bulk ink system will work with the others too. They also have a system for the C86.

I get the feeling, that people using a bulk ink system on these forums love them.

Before you buy a printer, at least look into that part of the equation.

Keep in mind that I'm just starting out also, so feel free to wait for other opinions on this.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts