T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how long it takes a message to post but posted last night and it still hasn't come through so I'm thinking something didn't work right and I'm going to try again. My name is John, and I live in Indiana. I purchased a system from the wife of a man who recently passed away.

I've never even seen a CISS system before, and thankfully the Epson C120 Stylus I got with the deal was already set up with ink in it. I printed a picture as a test to make sure nothing was clogged, but when I did, the screen popped up showing ink levels. two of them appear to be down to about 20 percent, the rest show full. The picture printed with all colors showing, so I'm assuming the print heads aren't clogged.

Since the ink bottles outside the printer are all topped off, for some reason the ink isn't getting to the cartridges on the inside to keep them full. How do I prime (push or pull?), ink to them so they don't show as low. Do I have to take the cartridges out of the printer to see how much ink is going into them when I prime it? Do you prime from the cartridges inside or from the ones outside the printer? Evidently there's a problem somewhere, as I would think if properly working, all ink levels displayed on the computer screen when printing should always show as full.

I have 3 cases of mugs that I got with the mug press, and also got the t-shirt heat press (clam shell type), and I'm anxious to get started, but want to make sure the printer doesn't run out of ink.

I appreciate any help and advice anyone can give.

Thanks in advance from "newbie John".

· Registered
3,420 Posts
Re: New member needs help with CISS

I printed a picture as a test to make sure nothing was clogged, but when I did, the screen popped up showing ink levels. two of them appear to be down to about 20 percent, the rest show full. The picture printed with all colors showing, so I'm assuming the print heads aren't clogged.

Since the ink bottles outside the printer are all topped off, for some reason the ink isn't getting to the cartridges on the inside to keep them full. How do I prime (push or pull?), ink to them so they don't show as low. Do I have to take the cartridges out of the printer to see how much ink is going into them when I prime it? Do you prime from the cartridges inside or from the ones outside the printer? Evidently there's a problem somewhere, as I would think if properly working, all ink levels displayed on the computer screen when printing should always show as full.
The ink level that is displayed on the screen is a best guess that the printer makes based on when a new cartridge is installed, it really ha no way to know just how much ink is in the cartridge it's just guessing. It also does not know that you have a CIS system, so when it shows empty, you'll have to pull the cartridge that it shows empty on the screen, wait a few seconds, then reinstall the cartridge that will trick the Epson firmware into thinking it has a new full cartridge.

Hope this makes sense to you.

Keep in mind some CIS systems the cartridges are all tied together and you have to remove all of them together to reset just one color, your may or may not be this way.

I have 3 cases of mugs that I got with the mug press, and also got the t-shirt heat press (clam shell type), and I'm anxious to get started, but want to make sure the printer doesn't run out of ink.

I appreciate any help and advice anyone can give.
Do you know what type of ink came with your printer? mugs require sublimation ink along with polymer coated mugs and sublimation paper to print.

Hope this helps.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New member needs help with CISS

It does make sense. Thanks for the quick reply. I will have to open the printer top and see if all of the cartridges inside are hooked together or if they are individuals. I will do as you suggested and try to trick the system to reset the ink levels that display.

As for the ink, I also got a box with about 10 extra 100 ml. bottles for refilling. They are various colors, and on the labels have the words Dye, Pigment, and Sublimation with circles on them to indicate which type of ink. The one next to Dye is blacked in. Since two or three of them have a little ink out of them, it appears that he was using these to refill the ink tanks, so I'm hoping they are the correct ones.

The lady I got the equipment from has several cases of mugs already printed with Cancer Awareness messages on them that she was sending to the American Cancer Society to use for fund raising. The guy did beautiful work.

The mug press itself, I believe is an ASC365. If he used it all the time, I'm hoping all of the various settings the instruction book says you have to enter are retained in the unit, and all I have to do is plug it in and go. If not, I should be able to figure out what to set them all at with the book.

Thanks again for the quick response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.