T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up, Forum?

I have an Epson 7900 that I'm slowly converting to all black (as the 3rd party color ink cartridges get cached, I replace them with refillable carts and dye-based black ink). I'm using Accurip.

I was doing some regular cleaning the other day, and my 3rd party green cart (over half full) refused to be recognized by the printer. Like Christmas lights, if one cart doesn't work the whole printer won't cooperate. NBD though; I had a refillable green cart ready to go, so I filled it with black ink, inserted it into the correct slot, and the printer wouldn't recognize the new cart either. So I took out the new one and used the chip resetter, reinserted it, and again, no dice: the printer wouldn't recognize the cartridge.

So I turned the printer off, let it sit for an hour or two, started it up, and… same problem.

Since two different green carts both don't work, I'm thinking there's an issue with some mechanism that reads the cart? You have to gently push the cart in for it to spring out, and it doesn't push in so easily or spring out without a great deal of friction. Has anyone else experienced this? How'd you solve it?

Thank you!

James

·
Registered
4,290 Posts
Fairly common. Just had this yesterday (again) with my Epson. First of all, make sure you do not have the Epson driver setup to download updates. The main purpose of those updates is to recognize and disable 3rd-party carts.

Try this:

• Press the button/menu to replace the ink.
  • Pull out the affected cart (on mine, it usually ends up being all of them).
  • Press the button/menu to complete the cart replacement process. The printer will mess about for a moment testing the (empty) cart slot.
  • When it is done testing, pull the electrical plug. Let it sit for a minute.
  • Plug it back in.
  • After it settles down, press the Ink button/menu again and insert the cart. Then press it again to have it test the cart.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eh, no dice…However, I couldn't press "menu" while the error message was on. I just pulled the plug after I pulled the cart out and the machine did its little choogle mess around thing.

But here's something that's interesting:

So it's the Green cart that's been giving me trouble. Neither the 3rd party cart (with green ink) nor the refillable green cart (with black in) is recognized…so I put a light light black refillable cart in there, and it says "No cartridge, install ink cartridge." Not, "wrong cart". Any idea what might cause the printer to not even recognize that any cart is in the green slot?

Thanks in advance!
J

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Bob! Yes, I did a visual inspection…nothing jumped out at me as irregular… but I did see the contactor chip like the photo you shared.

Does anyone have any experience swapping these things out? Seems like an inexpensive fix, but then again, maybe I need to tear the whole unit apart to get at it.

Everyone, have a great weekend!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Yes, I did a visual inspection…nothing jumped out at me as irregular...
You cannot always tell if it's broken without removing it.
These are two sided inserts, so the pin could be broken at the back.

Does anyone have any experience swapping these things out? Seems like an inexpensive fix, but then again, maybe I need to tear the whole unit apart to get at it.
The pins are cheap, but you may have to remove the ink bay unit to inspect them. It varies from printer to printer.
If the pins are OK, replacing the whole unit is the next step... and that will cost a bit more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Again, much gratitude for the info, Bob! I'm going to have a low-key tech come out and replace a chip on the green cartridge to see if that does anything before we tear this MF open!

Quick question:
If the pins are OK, replacing the whole unit is the next step... and that will cost a bit more.
Do you mean replacing the printer or just the ink bay?

James

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I took out the new one and used the chip resetter, reinserted it, and again, no dice: the printer wouldn't recognize the cartridge.
I'm curious about this. We have an Epson 3270 with all black and have not been able to successfully refill the cartritges. Was told the chip reads the ink drops and if it reads empty it wont work. How would that be reset?

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm curious about this. We have an Epson 3270 with all black and have not been able to successfully refill the cartritges. Was told the chip reads the ink drops and if it reads empty it wont work. How would that be reset?
They cannot be reset. You need new chips every time you refill.
You can buy them from Aliexpress.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts