T-Shirt Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My TEXJET (hybrid) Epson 4800 printer was working flawlessly after a recent print head installation. The other night I turned on the printer to print a shirt and it goes through the startup process and then comes back to the home position just before "Ready" and I get the dreaded 0001001D CR servo parameter error. First thing I do is check the encoder strip to see if it had somehow got out of the sensor, but that was fine and I wiped it down. Then I checked to see if there was anything obstructing the movement of the head or if the belt had come loose. Everything looked good. So, I eased the carriage back into the Home position and I noticed it wouldn't dock (click into place). So, I positioned the head in the middle, plugged it back in and pressed the start button. The head moved smoothly but not quickly, back into position and began the Start process. It moved out and then back started to come out again and I get the error again. So, I shut it down and I noticed, again that the carriage wasn't locking into place. It moves back, but no clicking or locking. Nothing is obstructing the carriage, that I can see. Has anyone had a problem like this? Any ideas? Thanks for any and all help! :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Ok, I figured it out. fyi, if anyone ever has the problem. Over the years the screw posts on the carriage that hold the head assembly in place, stripped and a couple broke off. Yea, I know, it's an old printer. But it prints "Really Well" when I don't mess with it. I had installed a new head a couple of weeks ago, and even though the head wasn't as secure as it should be, it printed very well. It printed so well, in fact, I thought, If I epoxied the screw posts back in the carriage, the printer would be like new! Apparently, I didn't get the screw post that lines the head up correctly or the epoxy wasn't letting the head sit exactly correctly. So, when the carriage moved to the home position the tab that hits the capping station and raises it up, hit it at just the wrong angle enough to bind the capping station and not allow it to rise up and kept the head from docking. Moral of the story? Just buy an new carriage. Oh, this will be fun to install!! ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Zippy,

I started answering your question, but then i saw that you managed by yourself already!

Thanks for sharing your experience :)
As an added note. I started to disassemble the head/carriage unit and realized there where quite a few parts on the carriage and I worried that transferring all those parts to the new carriage might need some adjustment that I'm not capable of. The problem was that when I pooled the JB Weld epoxy around the bottom of the screw post that holds the head secure inside the carriage, it was high enough to not let the head sit flush in the carriage. It was very difficult to tell this, as the tolerance difference was, maybe, .010" or .020" (1-2 mm) at most. Lesson learned. Be careful, very critical tolerances here, even with plastic parts. The epoxy was pretty hard, but I thought, if I could just get the epoxy out of there, the head would fit correctly and everything would be good making this task a lot easier. So, I started picking and scraping, "Very Carefully" with a razor blade and some patience, and was able to get all the epoxy off the carriage. Then I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the carriage floor, using the head container as a jig and attached it with a small sheet metal screw. It's all back together and printing excellent, again. :)
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top