T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM LOOKING TO PURCHASE THE NEW EPSON 3800. ONE COMES WITH THERE RIP SOFTWARE THE OTHER DOES NOT. I WANT TO USE THE PRINTER FOR MAKING HALFTONE POSITIVES ON FILM FOR SCREEN PRINTING, AND I WILL ALSO BE USING IT FOR HEAT TRANSFER STUFF. MY QUESTION IS HAS ANYBODY TRIED THER RIP SOFTWARE AND HOW IS IT? SHOULD I BUY THERE RIP OR GET A DIFFERENT ONE? I HAVE SEEN A FEW DIFFERENT ONES (FAST RIP/FAST FILMS U.S. Screen Print and Inkjet Technology - FastRIP™ Really Impressive Prints. ANY ADVICE ON ANY OTHER RIPS WOULD BE GREAT. THANKS FOR EVERYBODIES HELP.

·
Registered
4,664 Posts
Have you seen the 3800 printer upclose? I only ask this question as I too was excited about the 3800 printer because I was told it was a 4000/4800 without the roll feed function for about $500.00 less. I saw this printer up close and it is nothing like the 4000 or 4800 printers. It looks and feels like it is a much cheaper machine. There is no paper feed tray. You have this telescoping angled tray off the back of the printer that really sucks. It took me 2 minutes just to get it to stay up correctly. In addition, the 3800 printer was Epson's first attempt to eliminate 3rd party inks. The ink cartridges are pressurized and you need to have the printer cover shut completely to run the machine. By having pressurized cartridges, the cost of ink is going to cost more, you are going to be stuck using Epson brand inks that might not give you the best looking films and you can't use the a CIS or refillable cartridges as of right now.

I am not sure what RIP that you are talking about. Is it one from Epson or the company that you are purchasing the printer from? Fast RIP is a product that has been talked about in a lot of message boards including US Screen's boards. It is a good program when you figure out how to use it. It is not the easiest program to understand from what I have read and been told.

I am bias. Several months ago I wanted one printer to do both dye sublimation and print photographs / inkjet transfers. I contacted some of my people in the industry and at the Long Beach Show in January 2007 - MultiRIP (MultiRIP Screen Printing, Sublimation, Transfers, Photograph and General Printing RIP Software) will be launched. The concept is simple - 1 professional printer for an apparel decorator's shop that will allow them to do multiple applications quick and easy. The 4800 printer is the best one that I have worked with for dye sublimation, inkjet transfers, photographs, invoices, marketing flyers.... I stumbled across a pigment ink that also looks like it works great on waterproof film as well as transfer paper and photo paper. I have some suppliers / distributors that are testing it on the non-waterproof film as well. I can let you know the outcome of these tests.

I hope to have a similar RIP for the 7800 and 2400 printers soon. But, I do not plan on doing one for the 3800 as there seems to be way too many issues with this printer. I would strongly recommend you seeing in person whatever printer and RIP you decide to go with prior to purchasing it. Go to a trade show or find someone close to you that the printer / RIP that you can check out. Best of luck.

Mark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts