T-Shirt Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

This is a bit off topic but since a lot of people use the Epson 3000 for positive printing I figure some of you would know more than me about it.

I just purchased an Epson 3000 for this purpose, but I thought I'd see how it faired with printing photos just for the hell of it. After all, this is the printer that was favored for almost a decade for graphics studios and the like!

It sucks! It definitely looks like a printer from 1996 printed the photo. I can see all of the dots where it dithers, and it just does not look good at all. I have the printer set to 1440 dpi, microweave on, fine dithering, high speed off, etc. Still looks bad.

Now my question is, am I doing something wrong here? I can't imagine this passed for "photo quality" even six or seven years ago, but maybe people's definition of "photo quality" is different than mine.

After reading for weeks about the this printer and finally shelling out the cash for it I am a little disappointed at its photo capabilities.

Here are some scans of the prints - both at highest quality settings. You can see dots everywhere. This is not what "photo quality" should be.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Yeah, but I know what the guy is talking about. My photo image quality from my Espon 3000 is a LOT better than what the above photos show. Number one, is the photo of high quality and resolution? Number two what paper are you using- normal paper will suck, glossy photo paper or coated paper will print better. I wish I had a poster that I printed from my 6-7 year old Epson 3000, I guarantee it'll print 100 times better than the posts.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Epson has a quirky method of defining how the dots are placed based on the definition of the media. The (line drawing) definitions causes each pixel to be properly printed. With a plain paper setting, dots are withheld. Just because the printer is set to 1400 dpi for one media does not mean the output would be the same for another media set to 1400 dpi.

fred
That is REALLY interesting. I will try some more prints and see how it goes. Thank you all for the replies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts